What age does everyone put their chicks onto grower feed? 🙂

Wait a minute....

Picky. Fling food everywhere. Difficult.

Do we have the same flock?
They're actually good with cleaning up after themselves most of the time, even if they do knock feeders over. They did NOT like the grower pellets at all... I finally gave up after the 3rd bag, it was just such a battle trying to keep things cleaned up.

If my girls would just eat grower pellets instead of flinging them everywhere in rage, I wouldn't have to do 2 feeds. 😂

They're actually good with cleaning up after themselves most of the time, even if they do knock feeders over. They did NOT like the grower pellets at all... I finally gave up after the 3rd bag, it was just such a battle trying to keep things cleaned up.

As I've said before, my birds eat whatever I put in the feeder or they go hungry.

But a problem like that sound like possible bad feeder design. The traditional metal hanging feeder with the deep pan is excellent for reducing/eliminating that kind of waste. They can't physically manage to scoop the pellets out.

When they do make a mess from one of my other feeders I just stop feeding them for a day or two until they've cleaned up. Since my feeders are in dry areas I don't have to worry about feed on the ground being spoiled. :)

I run my birds on 22% layer feed, so they just eat what the adults eat after about 4-5 weeks of chick feed. I also just feed same to my roosters. I can't keep seperate food, since I use broodies more than incubate, so I don't. They all seem to do fine and the mamas find food foraging and break it up for their babies all the time. Honestly, I've never had a chicken make it to old age without predation though, so if it leads to later in life issues, I'm not aware of them.

Last edited:
As I've said before, my birds eat whatever I put in the feeder or they go hungry.

But a problem like that sound like possible bad feeder design.
I've used the same feeder the entire time I've had adult chickens (Harris Farms 7 gal gravity feeder). It really was that specific feed, they just hated it. As soon as I went back to the layer pellets I was previously feeding the mess magically cleared up so I haven't messed with what works since.

Yes I could have swapped to a feeder with ports, but I'd rather they not fuss about the food. And my current feed store doesn't carry the grower pellets either, so moot point now. :confused:

But a problem like that sound like possible bad feeder design. The traditional metal hanging feeder with the deep pan is excellent for reducing/eliminating that kind of waste. They can't physically manage to scoop the pellets out.

When they do make a mess from one of my other feeders I just stop feeding them for a day or two until they've cleaned up. Since my feeders are in dry areas I don't have to worry about feed on the ground being spoiled. :)
I share this philosophy as well. Never seen a chicken yet that would fast themselves to death... and the exercise they get scratching in the deep litter is good for them too.

Back
Top Bottom