What age does the peeping turn to clucking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 04SportsterChick, May 26, 2011.

1. 04SportsterChick

04SportsterChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maryland
    My girls will be 12 weeks on Sunday. They peep / squeek all the time. If I pick one up they get louder but it is still a squeeking kind of sound. Last week my daughter startled them and I could swear one actually clucked. I thought after that they would all start but no. So when do the start talking in the big girl voice?

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My little serama chicks were hatched March 5th about. They still peep but if something is bugging them like the neighbors cat they will do a high pitched cute cluck. Give them time [​IMG]

3. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Mine are 12 weeks old now and their voices started changing about 2 weeks ago. They mostly cluck now but I hear some soft peeping/cooing sometimes still.

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I swear, all I have to do is think of a question, go on the board, and there it is. Thanks for asking - I had wondered myself.

5. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Mine are 6 weeks and every once in a while I hear a sound that sounds like a cluck (from my EE). But the majority of the time they chirp. I can't wait to hear them clucking around my yard!

6. Secretchicken

Secretchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    My first two from last year started around 4 months old...The current chicks born on March 5th are starting to make more big chicken noises. The two D'uccles are really letting out with some "Baaac"s when you grab em too quick. The OEGs are making some other weird noises that sound like a wild bird along with their peeps.

7. Marylizbet

Marylizbet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Mine peep, but it's deeper now. They are about 8-9 wks. Some do this singing thing. Some croak out this course sound. It's odd. No cute clucks yet! Thanks for asking this, I was wondering too!

8. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I dunno, but mine are 5 days old and I distinctly heard an attempt at a crow from one of them yesterday. [​IMG]

9. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    My 6 week old chicks are definitely trying out new noises, especially the one that we believe is a roo.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    My girls are gold comets, which are early maturing (so that might influence it). They started full-time clucking at 10 to 11 weeks. I am a bit strange and get no end of entertainment listening to their different vocalizations. So I pick up one in particular often just to hear her go "buuuuuuuuuuuuCK buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?" like she is trying to figure out what this weirdo is doing manhandling her.

Heehee giggling just thinking about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by