What age for Drake to step up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NellaBean, Sep 11, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My ducks are about 16-17 weeks old now. Welsh Harlequin, 3 girls, 1 boy. The girls are RIDICULOUS. Head bobbing and falling over themselves trying to entice Howard the duck (er, drake) to give them some attention. I have 3 gallon nontip water bowl for the chickens and the ducks love to go to the closest one and get in there......then drape their head over the side and stretch their neck out.....one of the other girls will come over and nibble on the one doing that, etc etc.

It is really ridiculous [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So at what point will the drake finally show them some love? I'm used to chickens where the boys are ready and raring to go from about 10-12 weeks old and the girls don't want anything to do with them.

When can I expect the drake to start showing some interest?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmm, good question.

I don't have drakes, though. I wonder if this guy is just a late bloomer. I would not count him out. Seems to me seven months is fully mature age. My ducklings started flirting at about ten weeks, but did not start laying until sixteen weeks, and that was the first egg. They weren't all on board until they were twenty weeks old.

3. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I know I see the first "activity" if you know what I mean, from my mallards at about 18-20 weeks and started by the hens.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Today I got home from work and hubby told me that our ducks were mating. He's not happy I am I want ducklings. My crested runner drake is 5 months and my Khaki campbell girl is 6 months. Shes been head bobbing at him since we got him 3 weeks ago.

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Pekin Drake and my Mallard Drake each started topping the girls at 20 weeks.

Michelle

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    mine started at 5 months

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Well, I caught the Drake doing his thing yesterday......they are 19-20 weeks old now.

So when are the girls gonna start laying? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by