What age of chicks to buy?

annasurbanfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2020
I finally found someone local who sells Coturnix Quail chicks (seriously, how do y'all find them?!). They sell them at 1 week for $1, 2 weeks for $2, or 5 weeks old for $5/each. So now I'm wondering what's best. We're wanting them for eggs, planning to get about 6. Here's my pros of each as I understand it, but would love to hear anyone's opinions!

1-2 Weeks:
Pros: Cheaper, cuteness factor, they can get used to us handling them more often and might be easier to handle once grown

5 Weeks:
Pros: Can probably identify sex and not risk ending up with a bunch of males, hardier, don't have to buy a heat lamp and set up a brooder

I'm starting to think I'm paying too much for my quails.

If you really don't want too many males, I'd go with the older ones. You still can tame older birds. and you probably save money on a heat lamp and brooder (unless I've been paying too much for heat lamps too). It also depends though on whether you can feather-sex those colours.

If you really don't want too many males, I'd go with the older ones. You still can tame older birds. and you probably save money on a heat lamp and brooder (unless I've been paying too much for heat lamps too). It also depends though on whether you can feather-sex those colours.

Good to know that they can still be tamed a bit! I think it's Coturnix Quail though I haven't confirmed their colors, I'll make sure to ask first. Thanks!

I'm starting to think I'm paying too much for my quails.
Yeah jeez two 5 week old hens here would be 45$

I got 2 that were 5 weeks old, they were nice birds, But i hatched 3 of their eggs and they turned into very sweet little birds, quite a bit nicer than the ones i got as older birds

But eitherway the eggs will taste the same :drool

I think the op is in America because those are my running prices too.

If i could get that id hire a nanny and work the birds as my full time job :D :love

Everything here in nova scotia is realy expensive, its such an out of the way place

Local cheaper livestock is fairly inbred and anything else is a 12 hour drive away

i tried buying quail and it was expensive, and i tried selling quail and its such a small market its hard to sell alot of them

i baught 12 saxony hatching eggs for 145$ last year and ordered 12 runner eggs for 150$ :th

Sorry to babble on and on

Everything here in nova scotia is realy expensive, its such an out of the way place

Local cheaper livestock is fairly inbred and anything else is a 12 hour drive away

i tried buying quail and it was expensive, and i tried selling quail and its such a small market its hard to sell alot of them

i baught 12 saxony hatching eggs for 145$ last year and ordered 12 runner eggs for 150$ :th

Sorry to babble on and on

Yea were gonna have to move this to a private conversation :gig

Back
Top Bottom