What age recommended for wing clipping?

Suzy W

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
I have three 10 week old EEs who are allowed to pasture in our fenced-in backyard for 3-4 hours a day. I'm not sensing that they will take off over our 4 ft fence (the highest allowed by our neighborhood covenants), but if that looks like that might happen, I may clip a wing. At what age can this be done?

Thanks, Suzy

Seems to me you can clip them any old time. You just have to re-clip when new feathers come in.

I've clipped them on an 8 week old rooster who decided he was going to fly onto his siblings backs and harass them. He was causing quite a stir - until I clipped one wing. Took the air out of his sails you might say!

I have 8 week old chicks clearing 6' fences to they had a little wing trim to keep them on their side of the fence..too many things like to eat chickens on the wrong side
barnie.gif

As soon as they are completely feathered out! I clip one wing only. If you wait until they've cleared the fence ~ it might be too late! It sneaks up on you, trust me.
hmm.png
Just don't clip down too far, stop well before the dark part of the feather shaft, that is where the blood flows. It's better to have to clip more often. Here is a great link for clipping wings (probably tons of info on BYC too). http://everything2.net/index.pl?node_id=1791678

Last edited:
Yep, with the younger chicken seemed like I had to re-do it again when a few of the feathers came back in. It only took about 3 new feathers and she was back up in a tree.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom