What age RIR start crowing?

Hackles look rounded to me, saddle lays along the back, not falling to the sides. I'd say pullet.

Good color on the legs, too, and some redness to the comb - expect this will be one of your early layers.
Thanks I feel pullet also, but the saddle feathers have me questioning.
Also.....6 pullets from tsc and they're ALL pullets-that doesn't happen

Thanks I feel pullet also, but the saddle feathers have me questioning.
Also.....6 pullets from tsc and they're ALL pullets-that doesn't happen
Actually, I've had it happen too. TSC can't get it wrong every time, or we could count on it! ;) They are accurate, on average, just enough to keep us guessing.

[Honestly, depends on the knowledge and experience of the store's employees, in part - and the labelling on the USPS package by the shipper, as well. I'm lucky enough to have a very experienced poultry owner in my local store [part time - seems like all their employees are part time], but even so, sometimes they don't even pretend. The sign reads "chicks" - not pullets, not straight run, not breeds. They get a mystery box from USPS with no packing label, they throw 'em in the tank, and watch 'em sell out.] I can't imagine trying to do store inventory this way.

Actually, I've had it happen too. TSC can't get it wrong every time, or we could count on it! ;) They are accurate, on average, just enough to keep us guessing.

[Honestly, depends on the knowledge and experience of the store's employees, in part - and the labelling on the USPS package by the shipper, as well. I'm lucky enough to have a very experienced poultry owner in my local store [part time - seems like all their employees are part time], but even so, sometimes they don't even pretend. The sign reads "chicks" - not pullets, not straight run, not breeds. They get a mystery box from USPS with no packing label, they throw 'em in the tank, and watch 'em sell out.] I can't imagine trying to do store inventory this way.
I have been at my tsc when chicks delivered. White van full of chicks, driver carries 2 boxes at a time into store. Ideal in Cameron is very close to use, so I feel that is where ours come from. Our bins are usually labeled. These supposedly came from pullet bins-we shall see!
Again THANK YOU for your opinion.

I agave a rir that is supposedly a pullet, however the feathering is suspicious.
What age do they start attempting to crow?
My astrolarp (sp) started his songs around 8 weeks.
This rir is 13 weeks and not a peep.
My Rhode Island Red is 12 weeks old and just started crowing. He was bought as a pullet, but I've known he was a cockerel for a couple of weeks now, first from the saddle feathers falling to the side, then his leg size, and finally his comb and wattles. These pictures show the difference between him and the pullet bought with him.
20210601_081818.jpg

20210601_081551.jpg

Attachments

• 20210601_081551.jpg
    20210601_081551.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom