what age should I sell chicks?

mommy9994

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
central VA
I have 26-- 2 week old pullet chicks, and 3-- 4 week olds. I would like to sell about 10 for $5-$6 each. I'm going to put an ad on Craigslist-- Do you think they are too young yet? Should I wait a couple more weeks, or wait until they are about 17 weeks and sell for $10? I want to get some Bourbon red turkeys with what I make off of them.

I also have cornish x chicks-- 27 of them, same age. I would like to try selling a few of them, should I wait until butchering size?

Last edited:
id wait till they are 6wks old.that way the buyers can put them out in their henhouse.without having to put a light on them.

I agree with selling them once they reach 6 wks. Alot of people don't want to have to deal with the heat requirement. People like started pullets but I think the cost to raise them to 17 weeks and getting 10$ each compared to raising them to 6 wks and getting 6$ is too high, I think you will make more selling them at 6 wks, but it all depends on your area. you can put an ad in now offering them at their current age for 5$, and see if anyone is interested. if no takers. then put an ad in when they are 6 wks for the amnt you want to get for them. Seems most people either want day olds or ones not requiring heat.

Heather

Do what you'd like. If you have enough room, you can just keep them until they don't need the heat lamp any more, though lots of people WANT chicks, so maybe they'll go faster that way. We sell ours for $10 each. But they're from show stock.

Thanks, I think I'll wait 4 more weeks and sell them at 6 weeks. I was thinking the same thing, that it wouldn't be as cost efficient to raise them to 17 weeks to get $10 out of them (that's about all I've seen them go for)

I bought my first batch 7 months ago at 5 weeks for $5.00 each. The seller told me that I have to promise to keep a source of heat on them at night or else I had to wait another week to buy them and then they would be $7.00 each. He even called to check on us to make sure we were doing OK. I think he is just the tops and have recommended him to other people that buy from him now.

This last batch I bought as day olds and they are now four and 5 weeks old. I think buying them at 5 weeks is a better way for a first time "chicken" raiser then starting from day one. I think your prices are very fair. Good luck!

Last edited:
If this year is like last year it will still be too cool to put them out without a heat amp in 4 weeks. You might want to tell people they will need some heat at night if you sell a few at a time they won't be able to huddle up enough to stay really warm. I am not sure how this applies to small chick sellers but there are laws that chicks have to be sold in groups of 6 in the state of Va. I am not trying to be a spoil sport to giving information.

Where in central Va? I am in central Va, too!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom