What age to give yogurt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gale65, May 26, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried searching and didn't find anything. I want to avoid pasty butt if possible plus if it's good for them and they like it, I would like to give them some. Also is it ok to use a small ceramic pet bowl? I have a couple of shallow ones that would be perfect.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Small amounts won't hurt them from a week or two old, just SMALL amounts to start.

I try to always use the same bowl for treats for the babies. They come to recognize that bowl very quickly.

Next try walking out the door with a bright pink feed scoop when you have 30+ chickens that all know what that scoop means. [​IMG]

3. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    At day 5 I started giving mine a peck or two at a dab of yogurt on my fingertip.

Five weeks later, that dab is still the basis of all their training!

Yogurt = love [​IMG]

4. gale65

I found some other messages saying 3 days so I tried it. I put a spoonful in a little ceramic bowl and put some feed on top. They wouldn't touch it. They kept going up to it but that was it. I left and it looks like they might have pecked at it a little bit. I also put out some chopped up egg yolk and they didn't want anything to do with that. I have one pasty butt chick right now so I was really hoping the yogurt would be a big hit. I may try again each day-maybe they just need to get used to having it there.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use probios a probiotic since the day I got my chicks. 2 1/2 months later they still have it in their water everyday. It's the same as giving yogurt, but easier.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They just need to get used to it.
    All of my birds are outside enjoying some cool yogurt right now. That's another benefit to feeding the yogurt, if it's a hot day. Helps cool them down.

Also, outside is a bowl of leftover sweet potatoes and baby peas. The adult chickens are eating it, because they've had it before. The younger birds and chicks won't go near it.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I give mine homemade yogurt right from the start. The protein, calcium, and probiotics in it are good for the babies.

8. gale65

I just went and got the yogurt dish and they did peck at it quite a bit. Also walked in it and pooped in it. I am going to pick up some disposable pie tins and feed it in those so I can just toss them (I hate washing out chicken poo). Also pasty-butt's butt seems cleaner. Obviously not from the yogurt but maybe a monster poop pushed all the stuff off.

9. gale65

Quote:Oh I forgot to ask-where do you buy this? Is it ok to put it in the water if I'm putting sav-a-chick brand vitamin powder in it too?

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I bought mine on Amazon.com. I ordered it Thurs morning and it arrived the very next day. Talk about fast service. I put both vitamins and probiotics at the same time. It seems to work really well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by