What age to let chickens out to forage ?

Homestead girl

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Jasper Georgia
My oldest chickens are 12 weeks old the youngest is 8 weeks old. When is it okay to start letting them out to forage. Then how do you get them to go back in to the coop ?
I am a little timid on letting them out , I don't want to be chasing 29 chickens around three and half acres of property..
Any suggestions would be great.

Do you have a penned in area that you can put them in for a few days so they know where they live? My little ones are 7 weeks and have been outside for about a week and they know where they are supposed to be now. They don't stray too far from the coop although they have started following the bigger kids more and more.

Do you have a penned in area that you can put them in for a few days so they know where they live? My little ones are 7 weeks and have been outside for about a week and they know where they are supposed to be now. They don't stray too far from the coop although they have started following the bigger kids more and more.

They have a 12 x 24 open coop roost design that they are in all day. They have been in the coop for a while now. They do come running for me when I have the feed bucket and huddle around me and the bucket. They greet me at the door of the coop everyday when I feed them.
I am just nervous about letting them out into the wide open yard.
These are my first chickens, My neighbor said not to let them out until 6 months old. That just seemed a little long to wait.

I have a fenced in area that I allow my 6.5 week old and 4.5 week old chicks run in during the day. Though it is across the yard from where their coop is. My kids see me coming with the transfer cage and they gang up and the door to climb in for the short walk across the yard. I'm not quite ready to let them go on their own, even though I know they'd follow my five month old rooster. We're putting the netting up over it this weekend. I can't wait, I'm constantly checking on them and doing a head count. I'm not out for feeding the local preying birds.

Stevie and his adopted kids

I have a fenced in area that I allow my 6.5 week old and 4.5 week old chicks run in during the day. Though it is across the yard from where their coop is. My kids see me coming with the transfer cage and they gang up and the door to climb in for the short walk across the yard. I'm not quite ready to let them go on their own, even though I know they'd follow my five month old rooster. We're putting the netting up over it this weekend. I can't wait, I'm constantly checking on them and doing a head count. I'm not out for feeding the local preying birds.

Stevie and his adopted kids
This is our coop. We don't have an outside run as they are called. We have more of an open coop . had planned on letting our chickens sort of free range for a few hours a day we live on 3 + acres.

This is our coop. We don't have an outside run as they are called. We have more of an open coop . had planned on letting our chickens sort of free range for a few hours a day we live on 3 + acres.

I personally would start with just a few chickens at a time, take them out with you where you want them to forage. Stay with them, there's a great possibility that they will follow you back to the coop anyway. I know it's time consuming but it might take a little off your chest knowing they're okay. I would stay relatively close the coop at first though. They will normally not stray far from the coop as they know it's their safe haven. Good luck!
pop.gif
Please keep us posted. I know it's heart-wrenching to think of something happening to our babies.

I personally would start with just a few chickens at a time, take them out with you where you want them to forage. Stay with them, there's a great possibility that they will follow you back to the coop anyway. I know it's time consuming but it might take a little off your chest knowing they're okay. I would stay relatively close the coop at first though. They will normally not stray far from the coop as they know it's their safe haven. Good luck!
pop.gif
Please keep us posted. I know it's heart-wrenching to think of something happening to our babies.

Yes it is my concern for their safety. We have hawks and dog's that their human's don't keep in their yard's.. But I have my pistol with me out on the property most time's. We have all sort of critter's running around.
Thank's for the advise. I will keep you posted on the results.

I wait until my chickens are close to full size. I have 19 pullets, 5 hens, 2 roosters, and 10 bantams. I let them all out during the day, with the exception of 6 of the bantams because they're still so tiny. I leave the run door open and they go in a little before dark. If I want them to go in earlier I get a cup of feed and throw it in the run, making sure some see me do it. When the others see that they found feed they all run in the coop too. For the really stubborn ones, I get a large stick and tap the ground behind them and herd them into the run. I've never had a problem with my chickens going too far on my 4 acres, especially when they first got let out. They wouldn't go 20 feet from the coop at first! But they go through the woods, in the front yard, and just about everywhere they please, but they always come back. :)

Well I decided to let four of my pullets out today. Not all 29 just four to see how they did. They did stay close to the coop, while the rest were wondering why they weren't outside yet.
I sat and watched them for about 45 minutes. I picked them up and put them in the coop. The other's wouldn't let me open the door with out getting out. So it was a good afternoon. Will have to try it again with the older pullet's not the smaller one's just yet.

Two of my Buff Orpington and Two Black Jersey Giant's

Back
Top Bottom