What Age to Prepare Nest Boxes?

Regaj

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Northern Virginia
First time chicken keeper here (but loving it!). I have a small flock of six white leghorns, five pullets and a single rooster. They are 15 weeks old and just as happy and healthy as can be. They are a joy to watch!

My coop has six external nest boxes. Before moving the chicks out into the coop (between weeks five and six) I blocked off those nest boxes with a sheet of plywood, to keep the chicks out of the nesting area. Now that my pullets are approaching laying age (18-22 weeks?), I'm wondering at what point to remove that plywood, put pine shavings in the nest boxes, and give the girls access to that area?

Would appreciate any advice.

Now. Put fake eggs or golf balls in there so they get the point. You don’t want them to get in the habit of laying under a bush or somewhere undesirable; it can be hard to retrain a chicken to lay in the nesting boxes once they start laying somewhere else. Their instincts are probably already kicking in to find private, darkish place... they just don’t know why yet.

Yep, open them now.
Mostly to ensure they will not sleep in them before eggs come along.

Fake eggs are good, but no guarantee that they might not lay out in range area, if you free range. For that.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom