What age to start BOSS?

I bought a huge bag of BOSS last year.. Christmas present to the chickens? I haven't used much of it at all. Same for cracked corn. I have so much kitchen scrap, I don't find many days where I need a 'treat' for them. It is nice to toss something down to have them busy with for a little while, since their run is a barren wasteland.. these beasties are rough on plants
lol.png
I planted an apple tree for them and they've about peeled the whole trunk! Hoping the poor thing will survive, now that I put a cage around it.

I give mine a few handfuls a day of the sunflower seeds, scratch, grass, grit, all the bugs they can dig up and mealworms along with their normal flock raiser and fresh water.
Keeps them busy and healthy!
I offer fruits and veggies but they dont always eat them, they stomp and throw them around though..:/ by birds are all 3 months and under.
I do have one adult laying hen that was an escapee from the neighbors..

My chicks get a mix of chick starter, calf manna, WHOLE oats and wild bird food (including sunflower seed) from 1 week old on

Dry, or do you soak it at all? How much of the mix is the oats? I've been feeding 4-week-old birds oats and I was afraid to go younger with my next batch.

Glad to see this thread my 15 babies are 8 weeks old.. I just started giving them meal worms and grass . I was wondering when to start giving them scratch and other things. Do you give the babies house scraps this young.

The Dixie Chicks will be close to 4mos when they come home,they have dirt run with good amount of worms etc,they will be getting veggies and scarps.Feed wise I am baffled.Grit right now is in their run (natural raked dirt).Do I put them on adult scratch,starter/finisher or layer feed ?.

Back
Top Bottom