What all is my set up missing?

Joelolly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Seminary, MS
I'm going to try to post this with pics of my set up. I'm doing it from my phone so I'm not sure how its gonna work so if you guys can see the pictures please let me know lol. I have 34 birds in this pen and was wondering what all I need to add for them to be happy.

Pics:

40821_coop8.jpg

40821_coop7.jpg

40821_coop6.jpg

40821_coop5.jpg

40821_coop3.jpg

40821_coop2.jpg

40821_coop4.jpg

40821_coop1.jpg

Nest boxes will eventually be much appreciated if you have pullets.

Other than that... do they seem unhappy in any way?

Like the coop! First that second from the last picture...what is that chicken trying to get too? feed/water?....I would put a roost coming off at an angle like the bucket....

also I would put roost areas, out in the sun area, there run...made out of natural branches for the to roost out in the breeze or sun...mine is that way...of couse I only have a 10x10 run, so only one corner is like that.

36033_dsc_0752.jpg

There outside roost are to the far right side

You've got a very nice setup. There's lots of space, plenty of feeders and waterers so no one gets pushed out, and it looks safe, too, as in predator proof!

Maybe more litter. Read up on how to do deep litter. The birds will be cleaner, with less odor, and you'll wind up with some really fine compost, too!

My main concern was did I have enough space? If so, how many more birds could I fit comfortably in there? I have 34 now and the pen is 20x16 ft. I think that bird was about to jump in that red nesting box lol. We are planning on getting nesting boxes asap. We had two roosts in the open area but the roosted there at night and in the rain. Also! Do you know what section that about deep bedding would be? I've been trying to decide what to put on the ground in there. What's composte for?

Can't answer because I don't know where you live. Go to "Profile" on the blue line above, choose "Personal" when that opens and type in your location, city and state. What works in Florida doesn't necessarily work in Michigan.

Nest boxes, preferably with access from the outside so you can gather eggs without going into the coop.

If you never let them out you're technically already overcrowded by 2 birds. For birds that spend all their time penned you should have no less than 10 sq ft each right now you have 320 sq ft (16x20) which would be appropriate for 32 or fewer birds.
wink.png

Compost is great for gardens.

It seems to me that you have too many feeders and waterers hanging down. With that number of birds you shouldn't need more than two of each, and you might want to locate one set inside so they will have more room to manuever.

Nest boxes, obviously, will be needed, but waiting until the birds start to lay might not be a bad idea so they don't get into the habit of using the nest boxes as perches. Also, levels of perches in a ladder fashion might be better than the long plank up to the one high perch. They really don't need to be that far off the ground. Anything tthat is not actually sitting on the ground will be used.

You may want to consider a perch arrangement that can be moved so all the droppings don't end up in one spot. You can develop something that fits into a corner and alternate corners with it.

I would also use deep litter rather than the dirt floor. You can pile up 3 to 4 inches of wood chips and then add another 3 to 4 inches when that gets dirty. The chickens will mix it together for you when they dig. You then only have to clean the coop twice a year. I would use them in the yard as well.

I am assuming you are in a warm climate as the tin roof over the run will not hold a snow load.

You will also want to be able to move the waterers around periodically so it doesn't get wet and muddy in one spot.

Back
Top Bottom