What am I? And what did I come from?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ginger c., May 24, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    We've been trying to figure out what this baby is. We posted a couple of weeks ago and got some speculation. She's changed a bit. So we were hoping y'all would weigh in again. I tried to get pics of her saddle and neck feathers (they all look rounded to me), feet, and comb (single). She/he/it is about 6 weeks old.

We're still worried this one might be a roo. And still trying to determine what it is. We were told SLW when we got it, but clearly that's incorrect. Is it just a mix of things? Any ideas? $500 reward to the first person who gives the correct answers...

Reward paid at the rate of $.01 per decade for the next five decades and then $.01/year after that. Must be alive to claim and collect your prize! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I vote Barred Rock. Comb looks like a pullet at this point, but coloring looks more male.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    If it was a barred rock I'd have to go with a Roo because of it's coloring. Although it's comb and feathering are throwing me. I'll pass on the reward. [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Barred Rock pullet. The roo would have substantial comb and junior wattle set by now. That doesn't mean she is "pure bred" or up to type, but I bet she'll be a nice hen.

5. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Fred's Hens :

Barred Rock pullet. The roo would have substantial comb and junior wattle set by now. That doesn't mean she is "pure bred" or up to type, but I bet she'll be a nice hen.

We kind of doubt it's pure. Her/his feet started off the same color as the feet on our EEs. They still have a twinge of green in them, but are now mostly yellow.
    She is by far the nicest bird in the bunch. She comes when I call and loves to be held. My EEs run around like I have a meat cleaver in one hand and a recipe for chicken parmesan in the other. I have to carry both EEs at the same time or they start to freak out and screech!

I need to put pics of them up to see if they are both pullets. They were sexed... but ya never know.​

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] "meat cleaver in one hand and a recipe for chicken parmesan in the other" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by