What am I doing wrong? (Ducklings)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Ever since these ducklings hatched last week, I've been sitting at their level and just waiting for them to approach me to get them use to being handled for their new homes.
However, they want nothing to do with me at all.
Yesterday I sat in the grass for almost an hour waiting for them to come up to me but they just stayed away.
I haven't even tried to pick them up aside from moving them from the brooder to outside then back inside at night.
Normally it works for any ducklings I hatch or buy.

The only birds wanting to be near me are my 2 older pullets.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Could it be the breed of duck? Just need more time? Have you tried handfeeding some treats?
My Kahki Campbells are 5 years old and still won't come near.
Oops. Might be too young for treats. Maybe in another week when you can give them some treats they will be less scared.

Could it be the breed of duck? Just need more time? Have you tried handfeeding some treats?
My Kahki Campbells are 5 years old and still won't come near.
Oops. Might be too young for treats. Maybe in another week when you can give them some treats they will be less scared.
They're mixed. 6 are Khaki Campbell/Indian Runner and 1 is Khaki Campbell/Welsh Harlequin
I've tried to hand feed but they want nothing to do with me

Try dried mealworms every day in small amounts. Throw them on the ground and eventually the ducks will eat them. Then eventually after a few days they will get excited to eat them. Then after throwing some on the ground, hold your hand open with the mealworms in it and eventually they will come eat those also. This might take a week or more. Likely, they still will not be friendly but will eat from your hand

Back
Top Bottom