1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I doing wrong? The eggs are getting smaller...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gway2008, Oct 3, 2009.

1. gway2008

gway2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    I bought some laying age RSLs about 6 weeks ago and when they got here they were laying jumbo size eggs. I have all my girls on a laying pellet all they can eat buffet as well as grit and some treats sometimes... The new girls' eggs are getting smaller every week it seems. I would say they are about med - large size now. Most have all but stopped laying completely. The guy I got them from said they had just come out of a molt. I just dewormed them a couple of weeks ago and will be doing it again today. Is there a supplement I can give them to get them laying again and increase the size of the eggs from the ones that are still laying? [​IMG]

2. gway2008

Jun 10, 2009
    Anybody????

3. Ravenseye

Ravenseye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Pepperell, MA
    I'll try on this one since I was hoping to see an answer here, just like you.

My Red Stars had been laying extra large eggs until the Fall kicked in. Then, one stopped and the other hen's eggs got small. It's a little confusing because ay the same time, my two Buff's began laying and those eggs were, of course, small.

I added a light to the coop over a week ago and it seems to me that the eggs are all more normal sized now...almost like before. However, I don't get an egg every day like I used to so who knows.

I'd sure like to hear from anyone else on this subject.

4. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm wondering the same thing [​IMG]

5. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I have read that stress can cause them not to lay as well as lay smaller eggs, so after they get settled in they should go back to laying the large eggs, hope this helps.

6. gway2008

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks Big Dreams for the input. They seem settled in well but who knows with these crazy chickens. [​IMG]
    Ravenseye, I haven't tried a light in the coop... Hmm, maybe I will give that a shot and see if it helps.

I am bumping this up though just to see if anybody else has an opinion or idea since it seems there are several of us having the same problem. [​IMG]

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Molting can cause laying problems, decreased light, cold , stress, etc. Gway, yours have been under a lot of stress between moving them, worming them, etc. Mostly these things affect how often they lay rather than the size, but who knows? If you're going to supplement lighting, the idea is to give them a total of 14 hours of light a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by