What am I doing wrong?

chickensarethebest

Hatching
9 Years
May 29, 2010
Prattville
My babies, Chief and Paprika, are about 3 weeks old. They are Rhode Island Reds, and they are very healthy. I feed them a standard baby chick feed that I got from the farm supply store (I'm hoping to switch to organic feed ASAP), and I let them out every day to forage around the yard (supervised, of course). But whenever I try to give them some kind of treat, they seem totally uninterested. I've tried pretty much everything except any type of worm (I just haven't had a chance to try it). So why is it that they don't want fruits, vegetables, oatmeal, bugs, or noodles? Are they too young to eat or enjoy these treats?

They don't know it's food. Get some meal worms, they will instantly be your best friends (the chickens, not the worms
smile.png
)

First let me say that treats are no necessary for healthy chickens. B. They are too young and I dont' advise treats other than perhaps watermelon. Three, it takes them time to explore different types of things and they don't all like the same thing. D. Because they are not hen raised they will take longer to try new things, be patient..

Oh and another thing, two chickens? That's it? Please you need to get more, at least three or four or a bunch. Two chickens is unacceptable. It's just not normal. No respectable person has just two. If we dont' hear you've gotten more there will be the chicken police knocking on your door.

Last edited:
It does just take time for them to learn what things are food, good and safe to eat. Some chickens have more confidence to try new things and if you get one in a young flock that's willing to try something, the others will usually try it, too.

It's really good that you are giving them a little supervised foraging time in the yard. They will be healthier than if they were only eating starter and the exercise is good for them, too. Right now, for them, foraging is their biggest treat. It sounds like they are having a great time and enjoying life.

Use your finger to "peck" at the new food. That's imitating the way a hen would teach her chicks what's good to eat.

If you are letting them free range, they are getting treats. Bugs, grass, etc.

I would not let it bother you, let them run loose and they have it about as good as it gets.

On the other hand, get some scratch, once they get a taste for it, they will love to see you coming with some. Just a small amount
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom