What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickensarethebest, May 29, 2010.

1. chickensarethebest

chickensarethebest New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Prattville
    My babies, Chief and Paprika, are about 3 weeks old. They are Rhode Island Reds, and they are very healthy. I feed them a standard baby chick feed that I got from the farm supply store (I'm hoping to switch to organic feed ASAP), and I let them out every day to forage around the yard (supervised, of course). But whenever I try to give them some kind of treat, they seem totally uninterested. I've tried pretty much everything except any type of worm (I just haven't had a chance to try it). So why is it that they don't want fruits, vegetables, oatmeal, bugs, or noodles? Are they too young to eat or enjoy these treats?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    They may be a little young yet. Even older chickens can sometimes ignore treats for awhile until they figure out they're tasty.

3. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    They don't know it's food. Get some meal worms, they will instantly be your best friends (the chickens, not the worms [​IMG] )

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    First let me say that treats are no necessary for healthy chickens. B. They are too young and I dont' advise treats other than perhaps watermelon. Three, it takes them time to explore different types of things and they don't all like the same thing. D. Because they are not hen raised they will take longer to try new things, be patient..

Oh and another thing, two chickens? That's it? Please you need to get more, at least three or four or a bunch. Two chickens is unacceptable. It's just not normal. No respectable person has just two. If we dont' hear you've gotten more there will be the chicken police knocking on your door.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  5. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    Quote:i agree with all of those! also i like how you went A,B,3,D!!! haha [​IMG]

6. chickensarethebest

chickensarethebest New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Prattville
    Quote:I can't have more than two. :c but thanks to everybody for the advice!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It does just take time for them to learn what things are food, good and safe to eat. Some chickens have more confidence to try new things and if you get one in a young flock that's willing to try something, the others will usually try it, too.

It's really good that you are giving them a little supervised foraging time in the yard. They will be healthier than if they were only eating starter and the exercise is good for them, too. Right now, for them, foraging is their biggest treat. It sounds like they are having a great time and enjoying life.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Use your finger to "peck" at the new food. That's imitating the way a hen would teach her chicks what's good to eat.

9. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    If you are letting them free range, they are getting treats. Bugs, grass, etc.

I would not let it bother you, let them run loose and they have it about as good as it gets.

On the other hand, get some scratch, once they get a taste for it, they will love to see you coming with some. Just a small amount [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by