What am I doing wrong?

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
We set 2 raccoon traps the last 2 nights in a row. Both morning I have gone out and found the bait gone, the traps sprung, but EMPTY.

Seriously, these are just your typical traps from TSC/local feed store. Any thoughts on what we are missing? (other than the raccoons)
sad.png

What are you using for bait I have found mini marshmellows mixed with big ones to keep the animal in the trap longer so as to make them step on the trigger

We had that happen the squirrel and chipmunks were getting bait-not heavy enough to set them off-We threw raw chicken/lunch meats in it-that did it:)

Quote:
1.Dig a small hole for your bait put your bait in the hole.

2. set your trap over the hole, center trigger over the bait

3. stake your trap down so it cannot be flipped

Last edited:
I use eggs and break a few so they spents some time licking , then trip the trap. Also break a egg outside the door. so they wouldn't work on wrong end of trap.

Are you sure your problem is raccoons? The trap has to be sized for the predator. And it depends on how trap savvy the animal is. That's another reason I dislike a catch and relocate approach. Not only do you pass on a problem to someone else, the problem is harder for them to deal with.

If you have the type of trap with openings on each end, leave one closed. All that extra end amounts to is an extra escape route.

Instead of staking my trap down, I wired it to a piece of plywood so it cannot be turned over. Just a different way to go about it.

I built a box that fits over the trap. The only opening is at the front door to the trap. The animal cannot approach the bait any way other than going in through the trap door. And I put the bait behind the trip plate. While I have never caught a skunk, I think one benefit to my box approach is that it may give you a chance to deal with a skunk without getting sprayed. You still have to look inside to see what you have and that can be real exciting if you think it might be a skunk.

Many different ways to approach it. Good luck!!!

Quote:
Yep...Its coons. I sprinkled powder on the ground to catch tracks.

I wont be relocating them, just making them easier targets.

I have only left one end open. They are going in, enjoying the buffet and leaving. I mentioned your idea of placing the bait behind the trip plate and DH gave me the 'oh man, why didnt I think of that' look...lol. So thank you!

They are going in, enjoying the buffet and leaving

If the coon is very large, it could be he's tripping the trap while his rear is under the door.
Then he can just back out.​

Back
Top Bottom