what am i doing wrong??

omgu

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
ive been incubating duck eggs for over a month now at the start i was putting in 2 a day then i put in 6 every 3 days till i filled up 48 spots they where getting turned 2 times a day.
anyway on day 25 i had 2 eggs ready to be laid down so i laid them down till day 29 didnt see anything so we decided to take 1 egg n open it there was a duck in there but not fully developed still had a big ball attatched to its tummy. 3 days later i had 1 egg hatch that was only 26days old. now 4 days later ive decided to take an egg that was due 7 days ago and it had a tiny chick in it no where near completion and this is starting to play with my head if 1 has hatched that was due to and now i have like 25 or so eggs that are due and havent had anything what would i be doing wrong. the big side is up there is water in the tray down the bottom and i keep the temp at 37.2 c there turned every 12hours
this is the incubator "sorry if links arnt aloud" havent got time for taking pics.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26105507...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4219wt_1132

should i toss the eggs and restart with out the turning trays and do it manuly with x and o sides or just keep them in the turner that only tilts them like 30 degree angle

thanks

Okay I think I understand everything you are saying. Putting a few eggs every few days can be most difficult on the developing bird. I am assuming you are using a stryofoam incubator when I say that. You will loose humidity and moisture and the hatching, handling moving, opening of incubator, can leave the most steady incubator at risk of low or no hatches. If these are your eggs you can save duck eggs for about 7 days up to about 10 days for the incubator.

My advise is collect enough recent eggs during one week or 10 days at the longest Set those and take care of those. Even if it's only a few hatches, it is soo much easier to manage. I don't know how you managed to get enough room to lay them flat for incubation. with a turner in there. when the baby duck is in the final days, it doesn't need to be moved by a turner.

The other reason I like putting in only one hatch is that with waterfowl especially the humidity must be extremely high all along.....The higher humidity those last few days of hatching can be enough to drown /shrink wrap the younger babies. I would hand turn the waterfowl. and we use water misting when setting in our incubator as well. I have done split hatches (2 different hatch times) with moderate success on chickens but never with poultry. we use a hovabator with our ducks and even with its accuracy and troughs etc, we still roll up wet towels from kitchen warmed in microwave - not hot but warm to tough and put in with the final days of the hatch. Also ducks are not Precise about that 28 day hatch.... Some will hatch at 26 and 28 and even some drag out to 30 days, especially in a non cabinet incubator, so this makes the sequential adding of eggs just too hard for me. Good luck and hope I've helped. Love our ducks and other poultry!

thanks you for the reply hopfully when i go for the 2nd time round incubating i will be more successful. the 1 that hatched 4 days old today

Back
Top Bottom