What am I doing wrong!?

teisenhand

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
Colorado
This is my fourth hatch, and I have never succeeded in hatching any chicks, I haven't even gotten a pip! Today is day 22 and I have 5 silkie eggs that were moving and alive on day 18. The readings are 100 degrees (I have a still air incubator) and 72% humidity. If this makes any difference I live at about 7,000 ft. in Colorado. These chicks were moving in the egg just 4 days ago and now, it is time for them to come out, there is no movement of the eggs, there is no chirping and none of them have pipped. If I don't hatch any chicks this time, I don't know what else to do. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Patients lol. What kind of still air do you have. You might have better luck with a forced air incubator. After you "lockdown" your eggs are you opening the bator at all and how are you putting water in it.

I just use a water bottle to poor it in the trays for days 1-18, and then I did that plus two sponges on day 18 to rise the humidity level. I have never opened the lid during lockdown.

This is my fourth hatch, and I have never succeeded in hatching any chicks, I haven't even gotten a pip! Today is day 22 and I have 5 silkie eggs that were moving and alive on day 18. The readings are 100 degrees (I have a still air incubator) and 72% humidity. If this makes any difference I live at about 7,000 ft. in Colorado. These chicks were moving in the egg just 4 days ago and now, it is time for them to come out, there is no movement of the eggs, there is no chirping and none of them have pipped. If I don't hatch any chicks this time, I don't know what else to do. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
what level in the bator are you measuring the temperature - and what with?

What is the humidity inside the bator during the 1st 18 and now?

Are they local eggs?

Are you weighing the eggs to check and/or monitoring airs cells for water loss?

I am sorry things arent going well for you.

I am not sure what differences are for hatching at altitude.

what level in the bator are you measuring the temperature - and what with? The thermometer was on the turner next to the eggs

What is the humidity inside the bator during the 1st 18 and now? 65%-70% (Colorado hatchers said to raise the humidity more)

Are they local eggs? Yes

Are you weighing the eggs to check and/or monitoring airs cells for water loss? No, I don't know how

I am sorry things arent going well for you.

I am not sure what differences are for hatching at altitude.

its really hard to diagnose a bad hatch from afar, but from the info you have given, I will make the following comments

The key to humidity and incubation is adjusting it to ensure that the air cell grows appropriately during the first 18 days. This provides a space for the chick to internally pip into and take its first breath. If the space is small, it is because it is full of water and the chick drowns. Most people will incubate with low humidity for the first 18 days. I am yet to find someone to incubate at the levels you reported for the first 18 days.

There is a great article - hatching 101 in my signature below. You may find it useful.

A cheap digital scale and a strong LED light will help you learn how your eggs respond to humidity levels and you can adjust from there.

here is a scale for about 6 bucks that I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1NYE8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is the LED flashlight I use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VPWOLI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good luck

Oz

At high altitudes it is recommended to incubate at higher humidity and to not use the "dry incubation method". But your humidity was too high. I agree with Oz. Aim for humidity no higher than 55%-58% during the first 18 days and up it to 60%-65% during lockdown. Here is a very interesting article on humidity that I think you will find helpful:

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/humidity.html

Also look at the article Oz mentioned (in his signature). It's very informative. Good luck!

Thanks for all of your help! Im going to buy a new incubator, and put it to use after I get back from vacation. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom