What Am I going to do now?

invertaman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Indiana
Well, I have 12 chickens and they were all supposed to be hens except 1 and he was supposed a rooster. Well, tonight a "hen" crowed so I guess she is a he and I have suspicions that at least 4 more might be roos. if they are they can't live together can they? how can I tell if they are roos if they are not crowing yet? If they have pointed tail feathers are they deffinitly roos?
Thanks everyone,
Jw

'k, for starters how old are they?
You wouldn't want more than one roo with 11 hens.
Can you post some pics and inform us of their age? Betcha someone here can help you out as far as sexing goes. Also, do you know what breed(s) they are? If not, someone's bound to be able to help you there too.

Well I have 1 rhode island red, 1 red star, 4 americanas, 1 white crested polish, 1 white mille fleur, 3 blue frizzle cochins, 1 salmon flav. mix., and they are 3-6 months. My camera is broken, which stinks.
Also, someone said that if they are raised together they will not fight. is this true?

They shouldn't fight, provided they have enough space, the hens may get overmated though. 1:11 roo:hen ratio isn't too bad, you can have a few more than 1 roo, depending on the breeds and how they get along. You could get rid of any extra roos, or you could always get more hens
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom