What AM I going to do?

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
Okay, I have a problem. I have an incubator with Coturnix on their 8th day out of (14-19 total time) and an incubator of Barnevelders on their 5th day. I just received word last night that a seller with Sweetgrass turkey eggs just shipped my preorder!
barnie.gif

They're parcel post
ep.gif
from Arkansas, so maybe, just maybe the quail will hatch before they get here. But what if they don't?

The Barnevelders are incubating nicely. I have 5 good confirmed eggs. I've seen at least one good cot egg out of the 112 I set. I will probably check them tonight again. But basically, I can't buy another incubator. Sigh.

What do I do?

Consider float testing the quail eggs (if it's not too early to do that) and eliminate the obvious bad ones to make some room. The chicken eggs should be able to be candled well by day 8 and quitters, blood rings, non-fertiles can be removed. At the rate the USPS is moving lately, you probably have about 4-5 days before you get those turkey eggs. Next time, be a good girl and stop looking at hatching eggs. Good luck making room for all those chicklets.

I'd incubate them with the barnvelders. Then use the incubator the quail are in as a hatcher for the barnvelders.

X2 But isn't it a lovely problem to have
gig.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
. Do the Turkeys need the same humidity as the chicklets? Don't the quail need a higher humidity? I am getting my quail eggs from Hot2Pot today I hope
fl.gif
!!! They were supposed to come yesterday but they didn't
th.gif
!!! I have never incubated quail before so I hope I don't do it wrong
fl.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
!!!!

Okay I can help on the turkeys here rememeber that they take 28 days to incubate and higher humidity...It's great to have some little chicks hatched ahead of themto help the turkeys get to the feed and water... With our turkeys I would mist them with warm water before putting them in and when I'd check on another trays give them a little spritz .. Remember most turkey were born in the wild and in open places. They don't need quite as much humidity as waterfowl but almost Good luck! Have a blessed day Nancy....Soon, we shall be getting turkey eggs and that makes us happy around here.....Today we are moving the bourbon red, the pencilled red palms and the black tipped bronze over... it's a pretty site, with them now we have all boys in one side and all the girls in the other of a 200 by 200 ft fenced run, each complete with their own guard dogs! Fun day, Gotta remember to take some before and after shots!!!!!

Okay I can help on the turkeys here rememeber that they take 28 days to incubate and higher humidity...It's great to have some little chicks hatched ahead of themto help the turkeys get to the feed and water... With our turkeys I would mist them with warm water before putting them in and when I'd check on another trays give them a little spritz .. Remember most turkey were born in the wild and in open places. They don't need quite as much humidity as waterfowl but almost Good luck! Have a blessed day Nancy....Soon, we shall be getting turkey eggs and that makes us happy around here.....Today we are moving the bourbon red, the pencilled red palms and the black tipped bronze over... it's a pretty site, with them now we have all boys in one side and all the girls in the other of a 200 by 200 ft fenced run, each complete with their own guard dogs! Fun day, Gotta remember to take some before and after shots!!!!!

Hi Nancy Happy Day To you
frow.gif
love.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
!!!!

Melissa I needed that this morning!!! And to you.... I've just run out of time to explore the NEW BYC... Do you know how I can insert pics easily like clip and drag into the thread I hope.... I keep reading the old instructions and it seems like such hard work... If you have some way you can splain it to me...This birdbrain of mine would appreciate it. Nancy

Melissa I needed that this morning!!! And to you.... I've just run out of time to explore the NEW BYC... Do you know how I can insert pics easily like clip and drag into the thread I hope.... I keep reading the old instructions and it seems like such hard work... If you have some way you can splain it to me...This birdbrain of mine would appreciate it. Nancy

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Are you using a computer? If so go to the post reply and then at the tool bar at the top there is a pic inserter see pic below.

Click it then this box pops up so you just click the browse button and go to where the file is on your computer and click the submit button and it will insert it. I uncheck the box that says Save a copy though.
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
Currently 2 of the Barnevelder eggs are a no-go in my Brinsea Mini. The quail eggs are supposed to hatch next week. If you believe ebay, it says I won't get them until February! (Yeah right). I'm hoping that they arrive about the time the cots hatch.
fl.gif

Consider float testing the quail eggs (if it's not too early to do that) and eliminate the obvious bad ones to make some room. The chicken eggs should be able to be candled well by day 8 and quitters, blood rings, non-fertiles can be removed. At the rate the USPS is moving lately, you probably have about 4-5 days before you get those turkey eggs. Next time, be a good girl and stop looking at hatching eggs. Good luck making room for all those chicklets.

I can candle the quail eggs still, but the racks are kind of bizarre. First time using egg turning racks in the hovabator. (I use an automatic turner in the Brinsea advanced). So, I'm not sure if I'll be able to replace one with a larger egg one.

Back
Top Bottom