What am I? I thought this was a BSL, but it has white earlobes!

Basskids08

Chick Logging
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
In the country somewhere
I have BSL and their ears are the normal dark color and then I bought a bunch of other breeds and this one was in there. At first I thought it was a BSL but it has white earlobes, does anyone know what it is?
The second pic you can see the earlobes!

I know the pics aren't the best, will get more tomorrow if needed!

Last edited:
It certainly appears to be Black Sex Link hen, but I've raised many of them and never seen one with white ear lobes. It also appears to have a white feather in its lower back. Sex Links are hybrids to begin with and perhaps somewhere in its breeding some Mediterranean class breed was introduced into its breeding.

I'm not seeing anything screaming Black Sex-Link.
The Blue legs and White earlobes throws out the typical Black Sex-Link.
She could be just a Black chicken with Gold leakage.

Is that what their called black chickens?

What Chris09 is saying is it may just be a mixed breed, commonly referred to as a "mutt bird," that is primarily black in this case, and he certainly may be correct. It's definitely a hybrid, but not a standard Black Sex Link which is produced by crossing a RIR rooster with a barred hen (usually a Barred Rock).

Is that what their called black chickens?

What Chris09 is saying is it may just be a mixed breed, commonly referred to as a "mutt bird," that is primarily black in this case, and he certainly may be correct.  It's definitely a hybrid, but not a standard Black Sex Link which is produced by crossing a RIR rooster with a barred hen (usually a Barred Rock). 

Got ya, thank you all! :)

Back
Top Bottom