1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I missing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilshadow, Feb 6, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I went today and picked up these items to make my own incubator. Could some one tell me what I am missing/
    1 bottle adapter light kit
    25w light bulbs
    1 suction cup thermometer
    1 acurite wired thermometer that tells temp and humidity
    1 pc fan
    I have been reading threads on here, and notice that people have hot water heater thermostats...what is the purpose of this item, and a water wriggler?
    I know I need a box to build with. Any help would be appreciated

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The thermostat is wired in to turn the light off and on to regulate temp.

By placing a thermometer probe inside the water wiggler and placing it at egg level you can get a temp reading similar to egg core temp.

3. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    thanks a bunch. Got the hot water heater therm. all I need now is a water wiggler, and boy am I having a time finding that. I am to impatient to buy from ebay....lol

4. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    PC fan? Is it a processor fan or a case fan? Either way, it is 12 volt so you will need a 12v power supply. An old computer power supply can be rigged to use but a 12vdc power adapter from an old adding machine, computer speakers, printer etc will be smaller and more convenient. Just look at the back side of them to check the voltage output.
    If you don't have one yourself many thrift stores will have a box full of them for as little as $1 each. You just cut the round adapter plug off and connect the wires to the black and red wires of the pc fan. If it doesn't run or runs backwards just turn the wires around.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You can get the water wiggler at the dollar tree or other dollar store

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You may have to play around with the bulb. I have one bator that a 25 watt bulb won't hold stable.

Remember you might have to tweak tweak tweak to get the combo just right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by