What am I missing???

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Or am I just lucky???

I had fully expected to have to train the chicks to go into the coop in the evening. Had been doing all sorts of reading. For the last three days I have been leaving my 5 week olds out in their run during the day. They happily run in and out of their coop. If we are out there with them they are romping around the run but I do think they get a little nervous if we're not outside with them. Then they end up in the coop - up on their perches! They seem to feel very safe in the coop. And last night I went out just after sun down to bring them back in to the brooder. They were already bedded down in the coop. Made it easy to catch them!!!
celebrate.gif

Are they just brilliant or is it a sign that they are kind of anxious in their run. With all the prep I had been thinking about in terms of training them to go in the coop I feel like I must be missing something!

At 5 weeks I'd leave them in the coop at night. They should be plenty feathered for Massachusetts Sept. weather. My yearly chicks go to the grow out coop too when their put outside after 4 weeks. It was the broody hens chicks that had to be picked up each night for near 3 weeks this summer. What a pain that was chasing them each night.

At 5 weeks I'd leave them in the coop at night. They should be plenty feathered for Massachusetts Sept. weather. My yearly chicks go to the grow out coop too when their put outside after 4 weeks. It was the broody hens chicks that had to be picked up each night for near 3 weeks this summer. What a pain that was chasing them each night.

Do you think they all look feathered out enough? My concern would be my whitish one. I've attached another picture of her (who is really probably a him). The wings are well feathered but back and belly are still pretty downy

Oh yes, they will be fine.

Plenty feathered for September. Your recent low in Massachusetts was about 45F. That isn't much for a group of 3 or more 5 week old chicks to endure snuggled next to one another at night.

This year we had our first broody hatch eggs. She doesn't worry as much about constant temps as we humans do. Warmed them when cold (not very often) and then let them run around. It was summer but still she only coddled them for a few days then snuggled in run with them few times a day for first week.

Mine transitioned without any problem at all. Since they were a few days old I'd take them out for play time in the grass. Then at 5 weeks I moved them out to the coop and runfor the day bringing them back to the brooder (by then no heat lamp) for the night. After 5 days of that I moved them out full time. No issues! They seem to love it. They are sleepjng on their perches and run to the coop if they get nervous (even though their run is covered etc!) I didn't have any other chickens to integrate with so that is definitely easier.

Back
Top Bottom