What am I?

jeepgirl13

Crowing
Mar 13, 2013
Arizona
So my landlord has a flock of 4 chickens, which she is always calling silkies. Well, I incubated some of their eggs, and one hatched out. After reading my thread on it, a lot of you good folks have said this chick is NOT a silkie, but idk what it is then!

Here are the parents. There was another white hen just like these two, but she was hiding under the nests and I couldn't get a good pic of her. One of them just hatched out 2 more babies!
20190904_164235.jpg
20190904_164241.jpg
20190904_164318.jpg
20190904_164307.jpg

This is my little baby. He(she?) Will be 2 weeks old this Saturday. Sorry the pics are a bit blurry. My camera on my phone doesnt always want to focus:rolleyes:
20190905_082041.jpg
20190905_081945.jpg
20190905_081952.jpg
20190905_082002.jpg

Because of the curling of the wing feathers, I'm thinking sizzles, which I believe they have to cross in that includes the frizzle gene... so that means that there would be a percentage of eggs that would hatch out with normal feathers.
Thing is, you don't want to cross a frizzle to a frizzle... it can have detrimental effects to the feathering.
Looks like it already has.:D

Because of the curling of the wing feathers, I'm thinking sizzles, which I believe they have to cross in that includes the frizzle gene... so that means that there would be a percentage of eggs that would hatch out with normal feathers.
Thing is, you don't want to cross a frizzle to a frizzle... it can have detrimental effects to the feathering.

Thats what i was gonna say

it does at that.
OP, you may have feathering problems with these guys. As in, the feathers will be fragile and sparse. I wouldn't suggest hatching eggs from your landlord's flock again, unless (s)he brings new, non-frizzle, blood in.

I'm not planning on doing anymore of her birds. This little guy was an experiment of sorts, to see if I could figure out why the eggs were not hatching under the hens.

Just looks like poor quality silkie and silkie crosses to me :confused:
That was my thoughts, but this is my first around with the silkie breed. I really want one to do some brooding for me, so fingers crossed my lil guy turns out to be a lil girl!

I know nothing about where she got them, I just take care of them and her other birds for her. The peafowl over there have hatched out some babies as well. :)

This would actually make a lot of sense in this case. The hens have been trying to hatch out all spring and summer, and have only had 2 babies successfully hatch before the 2 in the pic. I took some of their eggs and put them in my incubator, thinking our wild temp fluctuations here was maybe causing the chicks to not hatch. Lots of fully formed chicks, just couldn't get out of the shell. It was so sad to clean all those eggs up.

Well, out of 8 of these eggs I took and incubated, this little guy was the only one who was able to make it out. This led me to believe some kind of health issue/inbreeding maybe. I was leaning more towards disease, since only 2 of the neighbors eggs hatched as well, (which I put in 2 dozen of), and their flock and my landlords flock are very close to each other.

Buuuuut.... after reading this, I'm wondering if this is genetic, in the silkie/sizzle/whatevers case. The other flock is old, which might have been the issue.

Thanks for the food for thought!!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom