What am I??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by L&Schickens, Jun 15, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    This is Black Velvet, my son's favoriate little rooster right now. I know he is bantam sized, but don't know the breed. He is about 2 months old.
    Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    A black Dutch maybe? Old english game would also be a possiblity but they dont get such big white ear lobes.

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I thought he was an OE until the earlobes showed up Now I don't know what he is. He came from a feed store, [​IMG] Yes, I am guilty of buying "Feed Store Poultry". It may or may not happen again. [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Black Dutch and I bet the feed store bought their chicks from Ideal Poultry.

Matt

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I just raed that black Dutch roosters are agressive. I hope this one does not get that way. I will not keep a mean bird. My son would be heart broken if Black Velvet turned out mean. [​IMG]

6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I can't believe that bird is two months old. It looks really well feathered out. Looking at the picture I would say it is a six month old pullet/hen. Maybe if it was standing I would say roo, but I don't see any pointed hackle or saddle feather and no sickle feathers starting in the tail either...

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I got these little bantams the first part of April and they were MAYBE a week old, but I think even younger. They didn't have feathers in their wings yet when I got them so I think they arrived at the store and I got them the same day.
    I will get a standing picture tomorrow, but I hope "He" is a "She". That would be great! With so much more comb then the others, I thought it was a roo. The others are 2 Seabrights, bantam EE, and one bantam cochin. I also have 2 Seramas, but they are from my chickens and I hatched them in the incubator, so I know for sure what they are. I will get pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks!!

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Could it be a single combed Black Minorca? That's the only breed I can think of. They come as bantams as well as regular sized chickens.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    that would be great to see your other pictures.

I have heard Dutch described as little snapping turtles [​IMG]

but I dont think that applies if you handle them alot when young.

10. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Here are some more pictures of Black Velvet and the others. I lost yet another one Serama (pullet) of this group to a weasel. I don't know what to do about it, but I better figure out something soon or I will have none left.
    Anyway, here he/she is. I still say he though.

[​IMG]

Velvet with Sweetie Pie (Serama cockrell)
    [​IMG]

My seabrights, bantam EE hen and Serama
    [​IMG]

look how small the Serama is compaired to teh bantam EE pullet. His sister was even smaller, I am so mad at that weasel!
    [​IMG]

so cute!! I love Seramas!!
    [​IMG]

So, do you still think Black Velvet is a hen? Is he/she a man eating Dutch?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by