What an internal pip looks like

CatJane

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
Hi all,

So I am a novice to incubating ducks, I had 2 indian runnear x pekin ducks as pets and my beautiful silver hen was killed by ?a fox. We had 11 of her eggs in the fridge and just thought we would give it a try and now have 10 eggs at day 24 in the incubator.
I have candled them and have definitely seen them pushing at the air sac but am unsure what an internal pip looks like tbh, I have googled and it has often confused me.
this morning i took this photo as it looked different to the other eggs and i noted the change in air sac shape from what was drawn on shell, is this a pip??? Or is it just more pushing, I couldn’t hear anything but can’t help being curious.

Attachments

• 6D2510CB-0BF9-4D32-826E-E6BF8CB01D69.jpeg
    6D2510CB-0BF9-4D32-826E-E6BF8CB01D69.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 57
Hi all,

So I am a novice to incubating ducks, I had 2 indian runnear x pekin ducks as pets and my beautiful silver hen was killed by ?a fox. We had 11 of her eggs in the fridge and just thought we would give it a try and now have 10 eggs at day 24 in the incubator.
I have candled them and have definitely seen them pushing at the air sac but am unsure what an internal pip looks like tbh, I have googled and it has often confused me.
this morning i took this photo as it looked different to the other eggs and i noted the change in air sac shape from what was drawn on shell, is this a pip??? Or is it just more pushing, I couldn’t hear anything but can’t help being curious.
I'm sorry about your ducks, that must must be hard... Hopefully you soon have some babies. Looks like shadowing! Baby is pushing on that membrane. An internal pip will soon follow- and you'll likely hear chirps or tapping coming from the egg when you talk to it. I never saw internal pips really, with mine, but I heard them inside so knew.

I'm sorry about your ducks, that must must be hard... Hopefully you soon have some babies. Looks like shadowing! Baby is pushing on that membrane. An internal pip will soon follow- and you'll likely hear chirps or tapping coming from the egg when you talk to it. I never saw internal pips really, with mine, but I heard them inside so knew.
I saw my first internal pip in May of this year. A Hen had given up on hatching any more of her eggs and left the nest. I candled the rest of the eggs and there was the shadow of a ducklings head in the air space. I was shocked, brought it inside and put it under a light and finished hatching it out. It was a sticky chick as I had the humidity probably too high but I washed it gently after I put the safety hole in the egg and then a couple of days later literally peeled it out of its shell. It had goo all over it. Gently washing it did not harm it a bit. It was part Muscovy and that is why the other eggs had hatched out at 28 days and this one took 35. It is a big duckling now and doing absolutely fine. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the reply! Yes tonight you could hear some tapping when held to your ear. Did my math again and realised it was day 25 so have just locked them down.
so exciting!!

I saw my first internal pip in May of this year. A Hen had given up on hatching any more of her eggs and left the nest. I candled the rest of the eggs and there was the shadow of a ducklings head in the air space. I was shocked, brought it inside and put it under a light and finished hatching it out. It was a sticky chick as I had the humidity probably too high but I washed it gently after I put the safety hole in the egg and then a couple of days later literally peeled it out of its shell. It had goo all over it. Gently washing it did not harm it a bit. It was part Muscovy and that is why the other eggs had hatched out at 28 days and this one took 35. It is a big duckling now and doing absolutely fine. Good luck with yours.
Wow that is amazing!
so excited to see what happens!!

So I locked down 1 Day ago. Last night egg#.7 had an external pip-a star shaped crack not a hole. Nothing since then but some rolling around. This morning no11 had the same. Some others have moved around a bit but nothing more yet. I read they will have a break after pipping so hopefully see something more today🤞

Back
Top Bottom