What and if to help

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
I have a few questions:
1. After how long of hearing the chick, or any other suggested point, should I try to help it out? What are signs of a chick needing assistance?
2. Can a chick fully get out of the egg, with the hen sitting on top?
3. Would it be a good idea to keep an eye on the eggs at day 20, to keep track of progress?

if it pipped ~24 hours ago, it has signs its tried to zip like an elongated hole (YOU making the hole bigger doesnt count) and the membrane looks brown around that hole, it may be in distress .. especially if its been exposed to outside air .. id chip some shell away and with a flashlight inspect the membrane for any blood vessels, if red blood vessels are present you need to wait .. once you do that, chip shell away at any point, final assistance will most certainly be needed, but you have to time it until all the blood vessels are absorbed ... i try to never get myself into that .. right at pip time is the critical juncture, dont mess with the eggs at that time candling etc .. i only open the bator quickly to get chicks out, very quickly ..

It sounds like the chicks you are wondering about are under a hen. Try not to bother her much, so the environment under her stays correct for hatching. Yes chicks hatch with hens sitting on top.

Back
Top Bottom