What animal ate my babies?

May 30, 2019
Vinton, LA
So today while at work, my man gave me a disturbing call...

Kyle: “Lacey, did you check on the chickens before you went to work?”
Me: “No, I was in a rush”
Kyle: “Well... 2 of them are mangled and breasted. Feathers everywhere. 2 of them got abducted”
Me: “..........*sniffles*”

Thank goodness he got home before me and found them. I would have died.

We have a pin and with a barn attached to it. The barn has wire going from the roof to a little more than halfway down to the ground (to try and prevent flying predators from easily swooping in). I have to duck under it to get into the pin.

I instantly wanted to blame coons because I killed 2 of them one night for being in the pin. But does this sound like a hawk? We aren’t sure if it happened at night or during the day because I didn’t go check on them before leaving for work (the ONE day that I don’t)
Again, 2 breasted and 2 abducted.

Kyle: “Well... 2 of them are mangled and breasted. Feathers everywhere. 2 of them got abducted”

We have a pin and with a barn attached to it. The barn has wire going from the roof to a little more than halfway down to the ground (to try and prevent flying predators from easily swooping in). I have to duck under it to get into the pin.

I instantly wanted to blame coons because I killed 2 of them one night for being in the pin. But does this sound like a hawk? We aren’t sure if it happened at night or during the day because I didn’t go check on them before leaving for work (the ONE day that I don’t)
Sounds like a coon attack to me. Raccoons have been known to kill without intent to eat, while, in my experience, hawks tend to take the whole package. I've seen fox attacks, coon attacks, and hawk attacks. It sounds most like a coon to me. We have started locking all poultry indoors at night after a coon killed our duck and injured two others (who happened to have chunks taken out of their breasts). They are despicable creatures.

Sounds like a coon attack to me. Raccoons have been known to kill without intent to eat, while, in my experience, hawks tend to take the whole package. I've seen fox attacks, coon attacks, and hawk attacks. It sounds most like a coon to me. We have started locking all poultry indoors at night after a coon killed our duck and injured two others (who happened to have chunks taken out of their breasts). They are despicable creatures.

We’re going to be putting up a door ASAP. I killed 2 coons a week ago after I caught them sneaking in the pin. I hope it’s full until I can get a door built. I’ve been going outside every hour after dark to spotlight. That’s how I caught the last 2 slipping.

We’re going to be putting up a door ASAP. I killed 2 coons a week ago after I caught them sneaking in the pin. I hope it’s full until I can get a door built. I’ve been going outside every hour after dark to spotlight. That’s how I caught the last 2 slipping.

From your description i don't really understand your set up. Maybe if you could post some pictures we could give you more advice about keeping your chickens safer.

Beef up your coop. Make it so your chickens are closed in at night. Chickens are most vunerable at night as they have no night vision. A weasel can fit thru a hole you think only a mouse could get thru. Once inside he will kill birds for fun.
You will always have preditors. Secure your coop and run.
Sorry for your loss.

Do you have a game camera you can put up. Since the predator has been back it will probably keep coming back, then you will know what you're dealing with.
I was finding dead birds. I put up a game camera and this is what was killing the birds. A couple of my coops are open on one side. I have since put tarps over the open side and covered all of my pens with heavy duty netting.
PRMS0006.JPG

Think like a predator, if it can go through over or under, they will. they know where the buffet is now. I agree, bring them in until you secure the coop.

Back
Top Bottom