What animals (besides chickens) really don't need that much room?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JessicaGrant, Oct 26, 2008.

1. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    I looked at an old farm house today. It needs a *lot* of work, but the price is right and I could live in one half while redo-ing the other. It has a big old barn (that needs a lot of work, too) and a silo, but it has been carved out of protected land and only has 1 and 1/2 acres. Besides the big house and big barn, that doesn't leave much land at all.

I think someone with a lot of money to lose needs to buy this property, but if I could think of a way to make it work I would be in heaven! I see my farm/B&B/agricultural education retreat in this place, but I am pretty sure I am dreaming!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

All cats need is a lap. [​IMG] I love cats, so I guess I am partial. That property sounds like an absolute dream. I hope you are able to go for it. I would love it if I could so something like that.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Rabbits, maybe? Not really sure though.

Maybe you could have a Ferret farm! I think that would be pretty cool! [​IMG]

4. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    How about rabbits and a bee hive. They will be my next additions.

Just a thought,
    Brad

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    A couple goats could be happy on 1.5 acres but not a huge herd. They would need supplemental hay. I would go with a small breed. Doves or pigeons should do ok.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I throw my vote for the rabbits and bees suggestion. Also could think of raising cut flowers to sell and to provide your bees with food. I read once about a fellow who makes $5000 each year off an acre of zinnias!

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Maybe you could invest in a few alpachas. Those things go at $12,000 at least, that could just be the young ones though. Not to mention you could use/sell their wool. [​IMG]

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Rabbits and Quail both take very little space and have excellent feed to meat ratios.
    The quail also lay lots of tasty little eggs.

9. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Bunnies, fish (heated koi pond, bettas) 1-2 cats, snakes (they'll keep the silo free of vermin, but you gotta watch out for the rest of the warm bloods). The place sounds like a dream-- plant lots of bee-friendly flowers and "bee" in heaven.

10. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    miniature donkeys don't take much room either, and they are low maintence, eat lots less than a horse!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by