What are differences between buying from a hatchery versus a breeder?

wink.png
........the day will come ! You will have beautiful eggs comin' from your project birds !! Stick with it !!

Last edited:
There is another class of breeder who has breeding chickens more as a quasi-religion: the Temple is the chicken area, the Holy Place is the Breeding Pen, the Holy of Holies is the nest box. The Holy Book--perhaps read on the knees, with great devotion--is the Standard of Perfection.

yuckyuck.gif
This is perfect thanks for adding this nice touch, I had fun reading it. Although I think I resemble that remark more than I care to admit LOL.

AL

Quote:
i'll tell ya folks,for years i had bought chicks from cackle hatchery in lebanon missouri and have always got got healthy long lived birds from them.

but have always been scammed by local breeders,selling me pullet chicks that turned out to be mostly roosters,or the chicks were crossed up,or not the breed they said they were.

i will never buy chicks from local breeders or swaps.

i have bought grown pullets,that i can tell what they are.

any way i will from now on buy chicks from cackle hatchery,as i trust them and they have been around for three generations.

I TRUST THEM!

Larry

I am a Breeder.......... I also sell to a hatchery that advertises with BYC.............. I hatch and sell chicks, keets and poults in my farming community............ I sell hatching eggs to hatcheries and growers for replacement stock.................. It takes all of these activities to pay for feed, culling, equipment and property maintenance. Your better hatcheries support local farms just like mine. Support the Industry in anyway you choose! God Bless America and it's Farmers.

Karl

I have not read this entire thread, so forgive me if this link has been given before in this thread.

I find this an interesting thread very closely related to this topic. Notice that Ideal responded to a lot of the comments made on this thread on page 4, including that they do breed to the Standard of Perfection. They do not have one rooster isolated with one or two specific hens specifically chosen for him like many good breeders do, but pen breed, where many roosters are running with many hens. There is less quality control that way, so yes, there is less chance of the offspring perfectly matching the Standard of Perfection. Teri specifically states what market they are targeting and it is not show quality birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=450193

The good breeders hatch a whole lot of chicks and cull severely to select their show birds and their breeders. The vast quantity of what they breed are not really grand champion material, although their culls are usually a lot better that the hatchery birds. Not all breeders select for the same goals and not all have the same ability to cull. My normal example is that some Welsummer breeders try to breed grand champion show birds, some breed for dark eggs, and some breed for both. If you buy from a Welsummer breeder, which type of Welsummers you are likely to get depends on what their specific goals are and how good they are at breeding for those goals.

Determine what your goals are, get stock from someone breeding to meet those goals, and you will do OK.

Quote:
I got to this thread through my BYC Newsletter..very interesting...! I want some Langshan chickens now...yours! Blue please. lol..
Do you ever sell eggs on here? Beautiful birds!

Want to add something here...

After all the reading...I do believe there is a HUGE difference in hatcheries and the "real" breeder. I'm very grateful for those that are truly keeping the true heritage alive. It would be so sad to not be able to see a real RIR. Love the color on the true.
It would be sad not to see, a real Auraucana..bunt butt.
smile.png

I can't imagine not ever seeing the true Black Australorp...big fuzzy butts, sweet gentle eyes..and, sweet gentle disposition. I believe the true disposition of a bird is also kept alive in true breeding. I know, there are a lot of sweet birds out there, but I've come across some birds that were supposed to be a sweet bird, but all that I was seeing in his flock, was mean and onery.
wink.png

I love the big white Orpington! Look up a show Orpington!
Anyway, I think you get the point..the true breeds would be gone if not for those that keep at it.
Thanks to all that do this, for the love of their breed!

Back
Top Bottom