What are good weights for jumbo coturnix hen and roo?

I stop feeding starter to my breeders at 6-8 weeks but a lot of people only feed starter the whole life of the bird with no problems. If you plan to use them for meat then feed starter until you butcher, otherwise you can go to a 22-24% layer or even 19-20% flight conditioner. Just avoid feeding chicken feed if you want good growth and healthy layers

I stop feeding starter to my breeders at 6-8 weeks but a lot of people only feed starter the whole life of the bird with no problems. If you plan to use them for meat then feed starter until you butcher, otherwise you can go to a 22-24% layer or even 19-20% flight conditioner. Just avoid feeding chicken feed if you want good growth and healthy layers
Thanks.. I will do that.

I weighed my 9 week old coturnix this weekend. Out of 40. I had 2 hens weigh 12.5 ounces and a couple roos weigh 9.6 ounces. The rest were smaller with a few 11 ounce hens and most of the roos weighing 8 ounces. My question is, what is considered a nice jumbo. Are mine undersized or average?

These came from a hatch out of the biggest 10 hens and two roos that I saved from my first and second hatches. The biggest two hens in that pen weigh 11.5 ounces and the roos weigh 8.5. I've gained an ounce for both hens and roos.

My plan is to put my 5 biggest hens with my biggest roo and hatch again. But, how big is big. How much do your coturnix weigh?
I'm new to quail but I weighed them at 3 weeks and they weighed on the small side 178 g.
They will be 5 weeks this Thursday and I weighed them to be on the smallest 8.28 oz- 11.05 oz for my hens. 8.02 oz- 10.97 oz for Roos

Back
Top Bottom