What Are My Odds?

bcorps

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
SW Indiana
I currently have three 14-week old pullets. One is already getting her red face. Though with Winter almost here, and fewer daylight hours, I am wondering if they will even start laying in the middle of Winter. If they don't, would you consider it a good thing for their health? I mean, a few extra months of focusing on growth rather than egg production can only be a good thing, right?

some of my pullets got red in the face really early in their development in the spring, but didn't lay until closer to 22 weeks. Depending on breed, they might tolerate the cold well enough and lay anyway, if that's what they're about to do, or you might be waiting until there's a few more hours of daylight.

each chicken is different with their laying as well - some might go red-faced and lay tomorrow while others might wait til spring.

My 8 month pullets finally started laying this week. Dont give up hope. If we know anything its that hens gunna do what hens gunna do haha.

I currently have three 14-week old pullets. One is already getting her red face. Though with Winter almost here, and fewer daylight hours, I am wondering if they will even start laying in the middle of Winter. If they don't, would you consider it a good thing for their health? I mean, a few extra months of focusing on growth rather than egg production can only be a good thing, right?
They can start to look redder in the comb and face at that age, especially with exertion/excitement....then can go pale again.
The days will begin to get longer just about the time she's ready,
I would look for egg soon after the Solstice.

Last edited:
I would look for egg son aft the Solstice.

I have been checking every day, just to be sure. I don't feel like it's a given she'll be broody even if she's a Buff Orpington. LOL, I feel like a greedy scavenger, just waiting to pounce on her firstborn and gobble it up.

I have been checking every day, just to be sure. I don't feel like it's a given she'll be broody even if she's a Buff Orpington. LOL, I feel like a greedy scavenger, just waiting to pounce on her firstborn and gobble it up.
I took actually chicks away from a hen last month. That look is pure hatred.

Hope you get eggs soon!

Back
Top Bottom