What are signs of a chicken coop that is too small?

You said one of your sheds leaks? Where does it leak from? You can get a roll of flashing for under $20 from a hardware store and they even have the peel and stick kind. I've use that to patch holes to at least get me through a while till I can make a better repair. Sometimes if it's not too bad it's the only repair I need for a while.

My poor ducks have the worse setup ever. It's on a slope between the chicken barn/yard and the goat barn/yard, it's covered only with chicken wire. It of course stays a muddy mess as there are 8 ducks in the 20'x14' pen. They don't understand they should keep their duck houses dry, they're a poopy mess all the time! They're only about 3 months old now too. I plan on moving them to a more level location and splitting them up into 2 breeding groups. We'll see:fl.
20191016_102916.jpg
20191005_123945.jpg
20191016_102354.jpg

@Aquatic_blue - there are low cost options you can implement. So, don’t feel too stressed.

1. Since you live in a dry environment that doesn’t get frightfully cold this is a positive. In fact, enviable to those of us that went through the horribly wet and icky fall/winter/spring of ‘18-19. Your girls hopefully have a decent run area they can access.

2. The pre-fabs aren’t made so great, but others have modified theirs with a few things that help, but for you, protecting the coop from sun/rain can help. A piece of scrap OSB/plywood/metal or plastic roof panel can shield it from some environmental damage. Think about each Structure problem as it’s own issue, and decide if it can be fixed/improved within reason. As each gets solved you’ll feel more accomplished while staying within your means.

3. Pecking order -it happens, and can include bloody combs. But, the other thing that can cause this is not enough protein. If you are feeding a 16% feed you should not be giving them any treats bc this dilutes their protein intake. Well, canned or cooked meat would help, but generally $$. And, yes they will eat meat...even chicken. So, you can switch to an all-flock feed, usually at 18-20% protein, but you need to supply calcium for the layers -usually in the form of oyster shell. Or, you can look for a layer feed that is higher than 16%. Some people supplement with dry cat food for extra protein. If you do this, crush it or add some water to soften. Do not replace all their food with this...it is not meant as the sole ration for poultry and is not designed for that, but it is an inexpensive way to supplement protein on a small scale.

Overall, feather picking can be boredom, so a bigger run will help. Can be lack of protein and feathers are mostly protein and they will eat feathers. Can be pecking order. But, you can address the space and protein requirements as a chicken keeper.

Definitely plan for a bigger/better coop when you can. With this coop, don’t add any more chickens. Many keepers do not have huge coops, but have a peaceful flock. My coop would be undersized according to many on here, but my flock is generally peaceful. I do feed a 20% all-flock bc I have males in the flock and some M and F are very large breeds. I have a large run for the flock, and visual distractions/interruptions which helps with pecking order.

good luck!

We have thought about the protein issue, but I have a hard time believing protein is the issue. They have a layer feed, I believe it is 16% protein. I can take a look for an all flock feed to see if I can find a good one. We supplement oyster shell, too. They get bugs in the yard, and we give them meal worms from time to time and cooked eggs and bits of meat that we can.

We have no plans to add more chickens. We can legally have 6, but I think only 4 is good.

I guess we have to figure out more coop space.

You said one of your sheds leaks? Where does it leak from? You can get a roll of flashing for under $20 from a hardware store and they even have the peel and stick kind. I've use that to patch holes to at least get me through a while till I can make a better repair. Sometimes if it's not too bad it's the only repair I need for a while.

We don't know exactly. All we know is it leaks and I also may not have mentioned it is also too close to the house to be a legal coop. The coop has to be so many feet away from the house and property line. Although, I am not sure if anyone would notice or care, but I don't know if I want to chance a fine.

Repairing the leaking shed might be your best first option. Flashing or tarp to cover it temporarily until you can buy or build a better coop.

I agree with others that your current coop is too small. Store bought coops are too small and cheaply made. A good rule-of-thumb is 4 square feet of floor space per bird.

If you are the least bit handy with tools you can build a decent coop for not a lot of money. Look around for pallets, scrap wood, plywood, etc. I built this coop with scrap slabs I got from a local sawmill.
upload_2019-11-8_11-57-17.png

Not pretty but the chickens like it. It is dry and wind proof.

Regarding the duck run...slab-wood or pallets can be laid down to make a dry path in the run.

Good luck to all who have problems to resolve for their flocks before winter sets in.

Repairing the leaking shed might be your best first option. Flashing or tarp to cover it temporarily until you can buy or build a better coop.

I agree with others that your current coop is too small. Store bought coops are too small and cheaply made. A good rule-of-thumb is 4 square feet of floor space per bird.

If you are the least bit handy with tools you can build a decent coop for not a lot of money. Look around for pallets, scrap wood, plywood, etc. I built this coop with scrap slabs I got from a local sawmill.
View attachment 1954511

Regarding the duck run...slab-wood or pallets can be laid down to make a dry path in the run.

Good luck to all who have problems to resolve for their flocks before winter sets in.
That's an awesome coop, actually!!!

View attachment 1954511

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom