What are signs of a chicken coop that is too small?

View attachment 1954628

Maybe something like my broody house set up could be less costly to build. I honestly have no idea how much it would cost. I made it with scraps from the 6x8 coop build.

That is cute! Gives me a good idea. If I take that look and make it a bit longer or wider, they would probably be happy as clams! Looks manageable for us to do. I will keep an eye out for scraps, too, like many of you are mentioning.

That is cute! Gives me a good idea. If I take that look and make it a bit longer or wider, they would probably be happy as clams! Looks manageable for us to do. I will keep an eye out for scraps, too, like many of you are mentioning.

Look closely at the run lid. It is hinged on the middle (ish). Each side lifts to rest on the other....if that makes sense.

The biggest pain with that one is the roof lifts to lay on the run for cleaning. It is very heavy the way I made it. :hmm
If I did it again I would make that lid in 2 sections somehow.

I am always so mad at TSC and the companies that make these coops. Surely they know that they are FAR too small. Surely they know that they often don’t fit together well from the start, and start falling apart quickly! Most people who buy one are new chicken owners who discover quickly that they have wasted a few hundred dollars and now need to buy or build a more expensive coop.

Grrr. Grumble.

I am always so mad at TSC and the companies that make these coops. Surely they know that they are FAR too small. Surely they know that they often don’t fit together well from the start, and start falling apart quickly! Most people who buy one are new chicken owners who discover quickly that they have wasted a few hundred dollars and now need to buy or build a more expensive coop.

Grrr. Grumble.
They're all like that I'd imagine. Who needs a chicken coop with a porch, shutters & a white picket fence??? Not practical at all. That's why I make my own junk, that way at least I know what's holding it together & what'll probably fail first! :fl:lau

I am wondering what are some good signs that my coop is too small for my chickens? I am getting a bit concerned it may be even though we bought one that said up to 8 chickens and we have 4 so we assume it is plenty, but now I am not so sure. We have the Innovation Pet Chicken Homestead Coop from Tractor Supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/innovation-pet-chicken-homestead-coop-222-87?cm_vc=-10005

All I can say is, this pre-fab is too small even for just my three dual-purpose (5-8 pound) girls. We had to build a run off of the side opening just for them to have minimal room to live and walk around when we couldn't let them out to free range. That plus the five new chicks we bought = the reason we built a much bigger, much sturdier, much better coop that can fit them all, and I wish we had done that from the start.

...we bought one that said up to 8 chickens and we have 4 so we assume it is plenty, but now I am not so sure. We have the Innovation Pet Chicken Homestead Coop from Tractor Supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/innovation-pet-chicken-homestead-coop-222-87?cm_vc=-10005

I think they compute how many little bantams could live in the coop, then say "up to" that many. But most people have larger chickens, so of course it doesn't work out very well.

One fast option for this winter: add a roost in the "run" section, then cover the roof and 3 sides of the run with a big tarp. Leave open the side with the door (so you can take care of them), and try to have that uncovered side face away from the prevailing wind.

That should make the whole thing into a "coop" that they can use in all weather, instead of a "run" that can be used only in good weather.

The other suggestions are all better for long term use, but the tarp is fast and cheap. It can solve your immediate problem, giving you more time to work on a better solution.

I predict that covering with a tarp will be fine for this winter, based on my own experience about a decade ago: I kept 4 hens alive and apparently healthy through a northern Virginia winter, two years in a row, with a pen covered by tarp on the top and three sides (wire mesh on the 4th side.) It did need a new tarp for the second year. My chickens at the time were 2 easter egger bantams, and 2 chanteclers--so one cold-hardy breed and one less-hardy bantam, but nothing really delicate.

Back
Top Bottom