What are some friendly breeds that likes to be held and don't go broody often?

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Our favorite so far are our d'uccles and EE's. We already have speckled sussex, buff orpington, delaware, and cochins, none of which particularly want to hang out unless there is food involved. Any others you love?

My favorites, besides Silkies, are D'uccles, too. I only had a pair and the little hen used to come running across the yard to see me everytime I went out. Unfortunately, a hawk got her one day. Soooo...I have ordered 3 different colors for a total of 15 straight run, they don't come sexed since they are bantams. I plan to keep the ones I want, and resell the others when they get about 2-3 weeks old for the same amt. that I have in them. My roo is fine, I just got him when he was several months old and had not been handled. I bought him locally and don't really like the quality of his colors, so I am selling or giving him away this year and just keep the young ones.
I have 2 Faverolles,+++ Silkies, 1 Delaware, 2 RSL, 2 Cornish ( Roo is the nicest roo I have), 2 Perdues, 2 white Leghorns, 1 buff Wyandotte, 1 Australorp, and I think that is it. The most skittish I have is a little black Silkie !!, but none of the others want or like to be held. If I was going to really tame one of those LF breeds, I guess I would pick the Faverolles. They object the least to being held and petted. They also settle down and sit without much objection. I did have 2 Sebrights and 2 white-faced black Spanish bantams. Both hens were very tame and would come to see me. The Sebright hen liked to be carried around under my arm.I lost those this past summer and also replacing them. Needless to say, I have gotten net to put over my chicken yard this spring.
If you have a one of the molded ponds like they sell at Lowes and other various stores, be careful as the bantams will fall in and drown!

Last edited:
My daughter's favorite chicken is her Faverolles. She follows her around and doesn't mind being cuddled excessively. Our dark Brahma is also super-friendly, too.

Well Mutts love to run up and see you and hang out. But Black Rocks, RIRs, ISABrowns, Leghorns, speckled Sussex, Buff Orp, and Yes EE's are often quiet friendly!!

Back
Top Bottom