What are some good (and docile) brown egg layers?

I believe it makes a difference to the amount of time you spend with the chicken as well as the breed. I have great birds of several breeds where some are quiet and friendly and some not so much of that same breed. I really like all of the breeds people have said. It comes down to what color you want and like really, because they are all great.

In my opinion too, got to be the Barred Rocks!
thumbsup.gif

ok I am not biased, I like all of the breeds mentioned, have had them all and have none of them now. Howeveris the request is for Docile, brown egg layer, with no other guidelines; I would say Buff Orpingtons and Black Austrolorps are going to fit the bill more often than not.

I have had murderous buff orps, and I have one last Black Australorp who is """""" on wheels. She fought off a hawk last year and took 30 plus stitches to fix the gashes down her neck and the chick wasn't even hers. Friendly however, she is not. Lays like a champ.

So far the more of the Rocks have been friendlier. Though my black rock roo is headed for freezer camp at this rate. Part of attitude is genetic, and my buffs obviously came from stinker birds and the Trio of BA's was soo bad, I sold off two. But of the over 100 rocks, I've had, I've had one mean one and he's not that bad. Far better odds, over all, from several sources.

If both parents of the eggs in question are friendly hand reared birds, usually you get good offspring. If not, then luck of the draw. Lots of people buy birds from a guy with hundreds of chickens and turkeys that I know well. But when he wants FRIENDLY stock, he comes to get my birds. I do spend a ton of time with them and have always culled harshly for attitude, it shows in their behavior. People who live very closely with their stock tend to insist on only friendly breeding birds. He doesn't and his birds are not fun to catch or handle and he knows it.

He even just comes here to pet my turkeys.

So you get what you pay for in birds from a breeder sorting for attitude as well as type.

Just like Cher, I'm known for my friendly birds. I love, love, love the Rocks for every reason you can think of. I have some breeder quality RIR hens who are extremely docile, quiet and lay like machines while my hatchery RIR lady is very loud and always has been.
The Delawares are awesome layers and super friendly, too, but they do like to grab your pants or your fingers if you don't pay attention to them, LOL.

I have been very happy with the personality of my Marans.
I have heard others say that their Marans were not so nice, but mine are my favorites so far.

Maybe that will change when I get my hands on some of Speckled Hens Delawares !
ya.gif

I avoided barred rocks for ages because I thought they were boring and ordinary. Ended up with a bunch this year and OMG they are the sweetest things. I am in sooo in loooooooooove with my BRs.
love.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom