What are some not-so-aggressive breeds?

Sebastopols! Good guard geese--haven't lost a duck since the Sebbies started patrolling. Good with the ducks, turkeys, and chickens. They are the first at the feeder, though, so i feed chickens/turkeys up on a table and feed the ducks at the other end of the pen. The only fight I've ever had was with my very slow Muscovy who didn't get out of the way fast enough to suit the gander. and even now in the middle of breeding season, I can get under the nesting goose to check for eggs with my back to the ganders, and never get more than a hiss from them.

I have to say, I have Buff American's from Metzers -- mine definately have to be watched at breeding time. I chose Buffs because they were calm, but these require more watching than I was hoping for. Still love them, but I can't allow anyone but the one 12 year old daughter who does all the chores into the pen, or myself. Two of them are good bluffers but back off if you stand up to them.

The third gander was the largest as a baby (he's the smallest gander as an adult) and was handled the most as a gosling. He is the worst of the three as adults - always sneaking up behind you. I think he'd bite if he could -- he's been pinned a lot lately, but keeps forgetting his lessons : ) Just from my experience, I think a little distance might be better until they are grown, and then spend lots of time with them BEFORE the breeding season. Then, no matter how nice they are, don't let the kids go in there unless you are going too. It will be pretty easy to tell. My ganders also tend to leave taller people alone, but will be alarmed by my five year old, and not intimidated too much because he is shorter. I was glad that we were there to back him up. .

From May to January - my Buffs are sweet - you can go in with them and they will come and visit and follow you around . . . no hissing, no rushing, and the kids can be in there as well. Never had a problem with a female. I've also heard that the first breeding season is the worst and they do settle down some in later seasons. Keeping my fingers crossed . . . The Cotton Patch sound lovely -- too late now for me to get a different breed, but we are sure going to be handling any new goslings differently.

I'd recommend a fence so that the kids can go outside without fighting ganders! And we are downsizing chickens in favor of ducks also -- love the eggs and the hardiness . . . and the funny ducky personalities!

i have 9 pair of sebastopol 1 pair buff 1 pair saddle back geese. they all eat out of my hand till breeding season then they try to eat the hand i just went out to check one of my sebs that is sitting to make sure the other hen is not laying eggs in her nest she grabed my finger and i had to pry her beak apart to get it off
ep.gif
but make sure you raise them from goslings that is best.

Geese that are held and coddled too much as goslings can potentially be stinkers as adults. They view you as a flock member most often not the flock leader. I know many dont reccomend hand feeding. Even now in breeding season I can sit with a bowl of treats or food and the geese will come up w/o any aggression at all.

My dewlap toulouse geese are the wonderful. They honk whenever someone comes up on the property but have never, once bit me or showed aggressive behavior.
They are really very gentle, even around children:)

Back
Top Bottom