What Are Some Things to Add in a Coop So it Stays Clean?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JatCat, Mar 26, 2016.

1. JatCat

JatCat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Western Pennsylvania
    Those chicken feeders and waterers from the farm store are always messy. The chickens always throw everything around the room, making cleaning tougher. Is there any way to make a different method of feeding? I've seen some really nice ideas on Pinterest, but if you guys had any ideas, let me know! I'm needing ideas so I could add things to the coop. Anything would be appreciated, from cleaner bedding, to cleaner perches!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You could try hanging the feeders and waterers, elevate and attach to the walls, or raise them up on blocks.

3. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Using waterers with nipples keeps the water clean. There are horizontal nipples and vertical nipples. After using both I prefer the horizontal. Best part is that the chickens always have clean water.

I've been researching an automatic chicken feeder called the trigger. The chickens tap a bar that is hanging from the bottom of the chicken feeder and little bit of food falls into a pan you have under it. It's something I'm thinking of buying this spring to help keep mess down and also help keep rodents and rabbits from eating the feed.

Raising a chicken feeder to chest high can also help keep things neat. With the raised feeder they can't scratch it out with their feet.

4. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    So far the two best things I did was make a 5 gallon bucket feeder with the 90 degree pvc elbows. (there is a thread on this feeder in the feeding watering section). I also added two cup style waterers on a 5 gallon water jug. The feeder definitely cuts down on wasted feed.

5. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    PVC feeder and poultry nipple waterer are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    These don't necessarily keep the coop cleaner, 'cause you know - poop happens, but they do make for easier provision of feed and water without waste.

Totally waste free feeder......https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-almost-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder

Nipple waterer can be heated in winter ....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples

Roost(poop) boards do make manure management easier, in a way, and reduces coop odor....
    .......https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Knigge

Knigge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking about making one of these. I have the PVC feeders but they still seem to scrape the feed out. I also have the chicken nipples waterer and I love those.

8. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    I like your clear feeder so that you can see when to fill it. We made two of these last summer and they work good but still scrape feed out on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by