What are the "assorted red pullets" at tractor supply?

Jdc361

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2015
I have heard about this and was just wondering what breeds where in this bin? Also do they sell black sex links?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. It depends on your particular tractor supply, but they do commonly sell Black Sex Link pullets. I have purchased them on a few occasions from a tractor supply and they are my favorite hens; hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised BSLs for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. The "assorted red pullets" at the tractor supply are either Red Sex Links (which like BSLs are egg laying machines), Production Reds, or "hatchery quality" Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Are you considering purchasing some BSL pullets or assorted red pullets?

Yes I am but how do I know which red pullet is which breed?

If they don't have them labeled, it's going to be very difficult to tell them apart until they get older. The Red Sex Link pullets will have a white underfluff, and as they age, they will typically develop white feathers in the tail. The Production Reds, and hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds will lack the white underfluff and the tail feathers will either remain red or turn black. Practically speaking, there is really no difference between Production Reds and hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires, unlike APA quality RIRs and NHs, which have deeper bodies and either mahogany feathers in the case of the RIRs or chestnut feathers in the case of the New Hampshires.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks so much! But really, I feel welcome. I don't need anymore welcome to BYC
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Thanks so much! But really, I feel welcome. I don't need anymore welcome to BYC
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
Because you are posting on the New Member Introductions, you will continue to get welcomed by greeters who don't realize that you've already been welcomed. You can avoid this by posting questions such as your question here on our General Breed Discussions & FAQ section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/general-breed-discussions-faq, or on our Chicken Breeders and Hatcheries section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom