What are the best and worst sex ratios you've ever had from a batch of chicks?

Amina

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Raleigh, NC
When we hatch or buy chicks, most of us are hoping for more females than males. I'm curious to hear about your worst sex ratios from a batch of chicks. I'll start off! Last time I raised chicks, I bought 2 straight run chicks. Both of them were male. This time, I hatched 3 eggs, and I'm not 100% sure yet but it seems like 3/3 are male! So I haven't had such great luck, but I'm sure some of you can beat me for unlucky sex ratios. Let's hear 'em!

And while we're at it, if you've had some really lucky sex ratios in a group of chicks, let's hear those too!

Not a single batch, but from 6 broody hatches and 3 incubator hatches this year, I'm running somewhere around 85% cockerels
hmm.png
. My hens are all fired, every single one of them.

Oh, and 3 Oops roosters from hatchery sexed pullets......

Hi,
I have been running heavy on pullets this year. Last hatch of 7 was all pullets. In all, I think I have about 8 cockerels out of 29 chicks.
I don't know if it is genetics or the Brinsea Mini Advance 7 egg incubators I am using. They have great digital sensors but, more
importantly, they keep the bator temp at 99.5 to 99.8 . I read this is important because the female embryo is more delicate than the
male. When the temp goes over ( I think it is 101 or 101.5) it can kill the female chicks embryos. There's a scientific article out there
on the Net about it.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom