What are the best chicken breeds for starters?

Australorp, Orpington, Sussex, Faverolles, Brahmas, Plymouth Rocks, Marans, Welsummer, & Easter Egger I can all personally recommend as tame & not flighty.

I am looking to add additional friendly breeds next year and Bielefelder, Cochin, Naked Neck, Dorking & Wyandotte are on my list of possibilities.

Please let us know what your friend chooses! I have a mixed flock of breeds, and enjoy the different colors and personalities of my girls. Made sure not to mix overly-agressive birds in since a few of the breeds can be easily bullied because they are so tame.

My top pick for new chicken owners is Rhode Island Reds.
Next is a 3 way tie of Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons and Australorps.

I would have to agree that a mixed flock would be good as well.

I started out many years ago with a mixed flock. I had 3 Rhode Island Reds & 3 Plymouth Rocks and 7 Light Brahmas (1 roo) instead of Australorps. I also had 3 White Leghorns (c.r.a.z.y.) and 3 Black Copper Marans (not super friendly).
I loved my flock.
Just my opinion...

There’s no such thing as a “best breed” to start with. Each chicken has their own personality. You can have a sweet SS and an SS who’s a horrible, mean :rant that you want to send to freezer camp. It’s this way in any breed. The best thing is to get chickens that generally do well in the climate they’ll be kept and go from there.

free range part time, and her area doesn't get cold 30s or lower, 90s or higher.
Perhaps look into bantam Cornish. Mine are some of my absolute favorites and that climate and set up would do okay for them.

I'd recommend pheonixes too, but they don't really thrive much when kept in pens for any length unfortunately unless they're able to use all the space

I'd recommend pheonixes too, but they don't really thrive much when kept in pens for any length unfortunately unless they're able to use all the space
I don't think Phoenix's are the right breed for her. Their tails, too... imagine having that much tail!

Back
Top Bottom