what are the chances of ducks getting URI???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I have NEVER had a sick duck, never.

well, not disease sick, injured sick, I've had, but I've never had a problem with URI's or anything.

so in the chick room recently, they had an outbreak of URI from the older chickens, well, a couple still have some snuffles.

I was thinking of medicating them with Sulmet,wich worked for the older chickens, BUT the ducks are the problem, I don't want to overdose them.

so what are the chances of the ducks even GETTING a URI???, none of the ducks got sick when the chicks got sick, so what are the chances now?

if there something safe that ducks AND chickens can have??

2. I dont know how to help you.. But what is URI.. I havent heard of that abreviation (sp) yet..

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    URI = upper respretory infection, it's a virus in the lungs I think, it's the same as cats and stuff get.

I guess thats what are chickens have had, the sneezing, and coughing to go along with it, goopy eyes, and that sick smell, ew.

all or most of the older birds are finally over it though, it's just lingering in a few chicks.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks can get them. I lost a khaki/runner mix to some kind of URI. In her case I think it was fungal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: