What are the chances that I'll have good luck with Guineas?

phoenixmama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
I live on one acre, with a cement block wall surrounding our yard. I am surrounded by neighbors. My town has zero restrictions on farm type critters (which is pretty cool!). I am interested in getting guineas to try to help out with the cockroach and scorpion population. I do have a garden with fruits, veggies, and herbs. I also have two dogs. One Australian Shep. (who is wonderful with the chickens...doesn't chase them, and when he's outside he chases off the wild birds trying to get their feed) and one Labrador Ret. (who has killed two of my chickens, but has been around a friend's guineas before and left them alone).

My main worry would be the guineas escaping the yard, and my one dog. I can control the dog...but don't think I can control guineas that think the grass is greener on the other side.

So, should I bother giving it a try?

I'll add that even though I have close neighbors...they have critters too. Geese, ducks, roosters, goats...lots of different animal sounds coming out of our neighborhood! So, I'm not too worried about the noisy aspect of guineas.

It is possible to train your guineas to stay in your own yard. Start small, circle a small area with chicken wire and movable posts. Let the birds roam inside and if they hop out catch them pull their tail feathers and put them back in. Keep making the area they can roam in bigger everyday until you get to your property line. Then make the chicken wire fence permanent. You will still have an occasional bird jump/fall/over the fence, but it should try to get back in and make a rukus so you can go out and shoo it back over.

I still have this happen, our fenced area is only 60' x 45'.

Back
Top Bottom