What are the happiest ending options for my Roos? Long and rambling post.

And just a little humor- this popped up in my fyp today and I thought it appropriate šŸ¤£
9BC75DF7-3A75-41E3-813B-2AD0485891F1.jpeg

Okay, we have a situation here šŸ˜¬

I was working in the run today, and Phoenix, my ~8wk old RIR roo, came up behind me and started pecking at my leg. Not in an aggressive way- he was merely ā€œchecking outā€ some cuts and scratches I have that are healing, and obviously stand out from the rest of my skin. He was very gentle about it, but I know this is not good. Not good at all. And I wasnā€™t sure what to do in the moment. I ignored it for a second, not realizing it was him and not one of the younger birds exploring (again, he was very gentle). Then I just turned quickly around towards him and he stopped and went on his way. I didnā€™t make eye contact or do anything drastic. But I am not sure if I should have done something different? Heā€™s still young and hasnā€™t started crowing yet or anything, but I 10000% donā€™t want him to think pecking is okay, in any way shape or form, no matter how gently!
@Shezadandy thoughts?? Is he a goner, or is there still hope since heā€™s young yet?

Last edited:
A little chicken math : Once mature your chickens will eat approx. 1/4 lb each per day x 33 birds x 30 days = 247 1/2 lbs feed per mo or (5) 50 lb bags . 1/4 lb per day x 10 roosters x 30 days = 75 lbs month or (1 1/2) 50 lbs bags. $ .32 per lb x 75 = $24 mo
Ok. I have read over this several times, and I am too dumb for this lol. Without meaning to sound snarky at all, just donā€™t know how else to phrase it- what point are you trying to get across to me, because Iā€™m not picking up what youā€™re laying down šŸ˜…

Costs of feeding chickens? Are you saying Iā€™d be saving ~$24/mo if I got rid of 10 Roos? Or that I have too many chickens? Or just informing me of the costs? Orā€¦ ? Sorry Iā€™m being a bit slow on the uptake here. My brain used to work much better! šŸ¤£

I was working in the run today, and Phoenix, my ~8wk old RIR roo, came up behind me and started pecking at my leg. Not in an aggressive way- he was merely ā€œchecking outā€ some cuts and scratches I have that are healing, and obviously stand out from the rest of my skin. He was very gentle about it, but I know this is not good. Not good at all. And I wasnā€™t sure what to do in the moment. I ignored it for a second, not realizing it was him and not one of the younger birds exploring (again, he was very gentle). Then I just turned quickly around towards him and he stopped and went on his way. I didnā€™t make eye contact or do anything drastic. But I am not sure if I should have done something different? Heā€™s still young and hasnā€™t started crowing yet or anything, but I 10000% donā€™t want him to think pecking is okay, in any way shape or form, no matter how gently!
@Shezadandy thoughts?? Is he a goner, or is there still hope since heā€™s young yet?

Any chicken (hen or roo) will pick at cuts and scabs, so that's not something I'd worry about. Nobody told you chickens are secretly vampires? They are. They LOVE blood. Scabs are even better- blood cookies! Once they go through their first molt (a long ways off yet) - you may have someone figure out that if they pull out a blood feather, it's a little blood fountain. Yes. Really.

I think you did fine. I would consider either putting a band-aid over the cuts/scrapes while out with the birds, or wear something that covers it. That's not a baby roo problem problem, that's an every chicken problem. And excellent that he went on about his business.

Any chicken (hen or roo) will pick at cuts and scabs, so that's not something I'd worry about. Nobody told you chickens are secretly vampires? They are. They LOVE blood. Scabs are even better- blood cookies! Once they go through their first molt (a long ways off yet) - you may have someone figure out that if they pull out a blood feather, it's a little blood fountain. Yes. Really.
Oh boy. I knew about molting, but didnā€™t realize it could turn bloody. Something to look forward to, I suppose šŸ™ƒ
I think you did fine. I would consider either putting a band-aid over the cuts/scrapes while out with the birds, or wear something that covers it. That's not a baby roo problem problem, that's an every chicken problem. And excellent that he went on about his business.
Whew!! I was really worried about him being in my space lol. Iā€™ll wear pants out in the coop from now on!

Thank you again, you have been so very helpful! ā¤ļø

Oh boy. I knew about molting, but didnā€™t realize it could turn bloody. Something to look forward to, I suppose šŸ™ƒ

Whew!! I was really worried about him being in my space lol. Iā€™ll wear pants out in the coop from now on!

Thank you again, you have been so very helpful! ā¤ļø

Usually someone figures out the blood feather thing by accident - it can get really icky from there if it becomes purposeful. That's why any time you see a chicken with visible blood, that one should be separated until the bleeding stops and the scab is either not visible or has healed. And the dried blood needs to be washed away.

My favorite tools for that are a toothbrush and the 412 Monoject syringe, lots easier than holding a chicken over a sink faucet. (https://www.amazon.com/Dental-Monoject-Disposable-Impression-Syringes/dp/B07N162X24/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?content-id=amzn1.sym.a06308c8-a940-4392-8930-dd435f016cc4:amzn1.sym.a06308c8-a940-4392-8930-dd435f016cc4&cv_ct_cx=monoject+412&keywords=monoject+412&pd_rd_i=B07N162X24&pd_rd_r=ce88a472-265d-4dd7-98cb-022fd898a0a3&pd_rd_w=MzclJ&pd_rd_wg=RNG4N&pf_rd_p=a06308c8-a940-4392-8930-dd435f016cc4&pf_rd_r=K0MKNFZ5G19PMMEZQBV7&psc=1&qid=1653596822&sr=1-1-f0029781-b79b-4b60-9cb0-eeda4dea34d6) (I'm sure there are better prices out there, just wanted to link to a photo- very useful tool)

Beware the vampires. šŸ§›ā€ā™‚ļø

Usually someone figures out the blood feather thing by accident - it can get really icky from there if it becomes purposeful. That's why any time you see a chicken with visible blood, that one should be separated until the bleeding stops and the scab is either not visible or has healed. And the dried blood needs to be washed away.
Thanks for the heads up!! And info on syringe.

Beware the vampires. šŸ§›ā€ā™‚ļø
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ§›ā€ā™€ļøšŸ“

TLDR: Ok I know ā€œwhat to doā€ with Roos, but. Is there any way to realistically make having multiple roosters work? And have them all still be happy and healthy? Iā€™ve heard one mention of a ā€œbachelor pad.ā€ Does that really exist, and does it really work?

So, now my ultimate problem lol: I LOVE all animals, and I love all my birds!! Iā€™m not sure how many Roos I actually currently have out of all my babies, but I know I now have at LEAST three. I have a total of 26 birds. Only 12 are sexed, and I have 3 confirmed Roos out of those. I have guesses for my younger birds, some based off of feather sexing, some based off coloring/markings (like my barred rocksā€™ white spots on their heads). Based off of my guesses, I have another 7 suspected Roos. One of which I am already VERY attached to šŸ˜¬

I donā€™t have any legal restrictions on Roos, so itā€™s not that I ā€œcanā€™tā€ have more than one. I just have no idea how to even begin making decisions on who to keep, if they can possibly all learn to get along, or what. Especially when I love them all so much, I donā€™t want to have to get rid of any of them lol. I obviously will, if/when it becomes necessary, but I really would much prefer to find a way to keep them if thereā€™s any way possible to do so safely and without causing issues. I have a very mixed flock, some of which are fairly rare breeds. I donā€™t necessarily plan on breeding for any reason other than maintaining egg production for my family, at least not any time soon, but I also would hate to rule out the possibility of expanding my flock or even generating extra income on the side by getting rid of any of my rarer Roos that Iā€™ve raised from hatch. I do know that at some point my girls will stop laying and Iā€™ll need to raise up some more babies, and ideally Iā€™d like to have them be purebred, or at least be common crosses that are known to be generally healthy layers, preferably sex-linked so that I can weed out Roos before I have time to get attached, and that Iā€™d have a good idea of what to expect from their offspring.

The various breeds in my flock, just for reference in case anyoneā€™s interested or has suggestions of which breed(s) of roo would be best to keep for maintaining decent production as my layers start slowing down with age. I have mixed numbers of each, from 1 up to 4 of each. I have: RIR, BR, CM, GLW, ayam cemani, golden Sebright, buff silkies, australorp, light Brahma, coronation Sussex, pavlovskaya, SFH, amber link, OEGB (suspected, but possibly Dutch bantam or something similar), and isa brown.
Re: lots of roosters; I have 7 and 8 girls. Wrong ratio for sure. Love ALL my babies. Won't kill and can't find safe homes for the boys. My avian vet does "deslorelin implant" s and I've had it done on my 2 most aggressive boys (very romantic, chase off other boys, want to take over leadership from senior older rooster). This is the treatment done for human prostate cancer and its effect is to lessen the testosterone levels. No anesthesia, just gets implanted at nape of neck with syringe, takes a minute, they go right home. She has great success with indoor bird pets and it varies with outdoor roosters due to influence of hens and rest of flock. she did a bantam boy and he acted like a hen after. Some effect on my crazy guys but wish it was more! Maybe a dose thing according to size.Lots of variables involved. Wanted to let you know what's available! Its not ok by FDA for chickens but yes for ferrets and my intelligent vet feels its safe, just hasn't gotten passed thru the autocratic mumbo jumbo yet. Would love to hear comments on this!

My God no don't kill him. He's just exploring his world. He probably was wondering if those scratches were bugs he could eat!

Back
Top Bottom