What are the hazards cleaning ducks while pregnant?

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
I'm just over 12 weeks pregnant with my second child and I know that its
not safe to change reptile cages, and cats litter boxes but I was wondering what
the hazards are with cleaning my ducks? Soon I wont have to come in contact with
their mess as much since I'll just hose out their house and run but right now the ducklings are inside and I need to clean their pen daily. I'm the one who cleans, feeds, and takes care of them. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well i always understood you build immunities so if you were doing it before it should be fine during, obviously good hand washing and/or gloves wouldn't go amiss.

but then i was an oddball who pretty much did everything while pregnant lol especially after i had several.

Last edited:
I'm 28 weeks, my doctor said the risks were the same in that salmonella is your biggest worry. To be safe I always use disposable gloves (grab a box at Wal-Mart).

Yup, I've been cleaning ducks for the past 4+ years, this is nothing new. It's just my first time while pregnant. I began hatching and keeping ducks when my son was 2.

My new guys are messier than ever! Seriously my last hatch was 8 ducklings and they were easier to manage than these two new babies! They are just as bad as newborns waking me up to eat at 5am!

I'm the same way, everyone keeps saying not to do stuff but I dont want to not be able to do anything. With my first Pregnancy I used the excuse that Im pregnant to get out of doing things lol. Now however, I've lost 140 lbs. the past 2 years and I dont want anything to hold me back!

Yup, I've been cleaning ducks for the past 4+ years, this is nothing new. It's just my first time while pregnant. I began hatching and keeping ducks when my son was 2.

My new guys are messier than ever! Seriously my last hatch was 8 ducklings and they were easier to manage than these two new babies! They are just as bad as newborns waking me up to eat at 5am!

I'm the same way, everyone keeps saying not to do stuff but I dont want to not be able to do anything. With my first Pregnancy I used the excuse that Im pregnant to get out of doing things lol. Now however, I've lost 140 lbs. the past 2 years and I dont want anything to hold me back!

I think it's way normal with your first to be extra cautious after a few more it's like um, no sorry i'm not broken lol and wtg on that weight loss! that is an entire person!

Thank You! I lose 140 lbs. then have to gain back weight being pregnant.
barnie.gif
Luckily I only have to gain 10 to 20 lbs!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom