What are the odds? pics included

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
I know my odds and im well aware that mistakes happen, nothings 100% , but just out of sheer curiosity, what are the odds that a chick that is substantially larger than the others is probably a roo? Just wanting others thoughts/experiences.... I have never raised up day olds from a hatchery that were sexed and all my fluff was sexed female but im starting to wonder
pop.gif

So he/she is named pumpkin an amerucana... and he/she is really quite large and pretty ornery too!

Ill give you one guess who pumpkin is, that would be the one who drawfs everyone and also is always "walking tall" oh did I mention this is my FAV chick, of course...

Pumpkin is the one looking away

That posture is rather suspicious isn't it. If I have a chick who is bigger and bolder than the rest, I usually put them in the probably a roo category, sometimes they aren't but I would estimate the roo guess is right about 75% of the time. Hopefully yours is just going to be the dominant hen and is considering taking over the rooster role with no rooster on site. Interestingly enough, I have gotten more EEs sexed wrong by hatcheries than any other breed, no idea why.

I can tell you that all of the ee's I've gotten as day old's have always been the biggest chicks in the bunch. Big, fat things with big legs, none have turned out to be a rooster yet but they sure can look suspicious compared to the others. I think you'll have to wait a bit longer to know for sure what yours is.

Suspicious indeed! Ive also seen a lot of flogging out of "her" which none of the other chicks do so we shall see, Im going to say "she" is probably a roo and of course my fav lol my luck. But that being said the little SLW is my second fav, the smallest but by far more personality and super friendly.

I can tell you that all of the ee's I've gotten as day old's have always been the biggest chicks in the bunch. Big, fat things with big legs, none have turned out to be a rooster yet but they sure can look suspicious compared to the others. I think you'll have to wait a bit longer to know for sure what yours is.

Ive actually had pretty good luck and always end up with more hens than roos, usually three hens to each roo in my hatches, no idea why, just sheer luck. Since this is my first time buying days olds im curious to see if my luck run out lol! I really don't want anymore roos which is why I bought sexed but ive heard a lot of people having issues with their sexed chicks being mostly roos..

LMAO@ Your avatar pic, hollymh! I need one of those!

But I'm agreeing with everyone else that it seems like a roo to me, too. However, I'm curious on the breed. I'm thinking it's actually an EE and not an ameraucana, because the legs look yellow. Maybe it's just the lighting of the lamp and the camera. Ameraucana chicks will have the dark legs, although I admit that it looks much lighter as a chick than it does as an adult. But those legs still look pretty yellow to me, even for a young ameraucana.

LMAO@ Your avatar pic, hollymh! I need one of those!

But I'm agreeing with everyone else that it seems like a roo to me, too. However, I'm curious on the breed. I'm thinking it's actually an EE and not an ameraucana, because the legs look yellow. Maybe it's just the lighting of the lamp and the camera. Ameraucana chicks will have the dark legs, although I admit that it looks much lighter as a chick than it does as an adult. But those legs still look pretty yellow to me, even for a young ameraucana.
Probably is an EE, I got them from the feed store and the feed store got them from ideal. Im just going to call everything an EE for now LOL!

How old are they? A couple of weeks, maybe?

That chick being larger at that age probably means it hatched from a larger egg, nothing more. I don’t remember when size starts becoming important in determining their sex but it’s not that young. You can really see a big difference in size at hatch and for a while after if you hatch some small pullet eggs along with regular sized eggs from older hens.

It is too early to tell for sure, but with that posture, I’d bet a lot of your money and a little of mine that is a male.

Back
Top Bottom