what are the odds???

charliesgirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
MN
if i go to the feed store and get chicks out of a pullet bin what are the odds of me getting any roos in with the mix?
i know they order from hoovers and welp... so they are sexed before they get put in the brooder. there were 10 brooders of pullets and 2 bins of st. run... plus 5 brooders of baby ducks and 5 of baby geese... they were so cute but the boyfriend said no to ducks
sad.png

well thats not bad at all... i picked up a bunch of pullets that were in brooders assorted by breed and i got a chick out of the silver laced wyandotte brooder and it looks nothing like any breed they had there! i will see what i can do about posting a pick. just got a new camera, might take a bit...

the guy in charge of ordering said he had never seen that chick before... it has clean dark legs and has a dark chocolate head with a dusty coal body and almost black wings... looks to be standard size... any ideas??

1 in 10 is about right -- if the hatchery does not throw in extra roos, which has been suggested. The other problem is, customers tend to handle and mix up the chicks. Employees probably do this as well at times.

I seen workers at a feed store just put chicks into any bin, they didnt look at the sign or anything.
I would say its closer to being 1 out of 8. Some hatcheries thrwo in extra males for warmth and the workers at the stores dont know which are male and which are female usually.

Last fall, I bought 8 sexed pullets (2 weeks old and 4 different breeds) from 1 feed store & 2 sexed pullets from another feed store and expected to get 1 or 2 roos. All 10 of them ended up being pullets.

Back
Top Bottom