what are the odds?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
About a month ago I got my first chickens after 4 years of being with out. I've get 9 chicks that came from the feed store and a EE hen. they had RIR and Barred Rock pullets, a batch of bannys, and some older str. chicks on sale. I was not at the store my mom was, she called and after a good 40 minute phone call "we" had picked out 4 RIRs, 4 older white chicks that had smaller combs hopeing for more hens then roos, and older blue chick.
The more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be nice to have a RIR roo, and if I liked what ever the white ones were 3 to 1 or 50/50. The little blue one I did not care one way or the other.

What I endded up with was 1 Blue OEG Roo, 3 Delawares at least one hen one maybe two roos, 1 hen {so far all white} and 3 RIR pullets and 1 roo.
what are the odds of me have a rooster out of 4 should be pullets, I could see it if it was 15-20, but just 4. Now next year I can have some good table birds and some full blood girls to sell, so I'm happy. My guy is only 4 weeks old and already knows what he is
roll.png
, he loves to lay right under the heat lamp like oh yea this is the life. but I am glad I was aready planing on a devided coop/breeding pens.

anyone else end up with a rooster or roosters out of a small lot of girls?

P.S.
this guy is gona need a name???

Last edited:
Our first batch of 4 "pullets", 1 turned out to be a roo, our second batch of 10, 1 turned out to be a roo. On our frizzle st run, we got 4 pullets and 1 roo.
big_smile.png

Here's my extra rooster experience:

6 straight run Buff Orpingtons: 5 roos
6 straight run Barred Rocks: 6 roos
4 EE pullets: 1 roo
SS requested trio for breeding: 2 roos, 1 pullet

It's worse than the legendary box of chocolates in Forrest Gump. I DO know what I'm gonna get...and it isn't gonna be what I wanted.
lol.png

So in my experience, what happened to you is pretty normal.

Ah well, chickens. You can always eat the extras if you're so inclined.

8 supposed to be pullets, one roo...
But MPC was amazing and refunded the price as well as throwing in a free chick on my next order!
big_smile.png

It also helps that 'Luci' is my favorite.

well it kinda worked out the way I wanted this time, so wont be eating any out of this bunch, so long as the full size roos are worth breeding. if not yum yum

Back
Top Bottom